Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

ERROR: The Sampling Collector failed to start because the driver is not loaded now!

benarisse
Beginner
When I try to start a new Sampling, I get the message:
"Error: unable to create environment file "./environment.xml" on ...: [ERROR] The Sampling Collector failed to start because the driver is not loaded now!"
I am currently working on an Intel Core i7 920 (2.67 GHz). My OS is Ubuntu 8.10 (Kernel Linux 2.6.27-11-generic).
Yesterday everything works?!
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - tim18
Here is one possibility:
If your installation had to rebuild the VTune driver, the new driver module will appear only in the src director where it was built. When you reboot, VTune can load only drivers present in the vdk directory. So, you must either go to the directory where your new driver is and run the insmod-vtune script (as root), or move the driver module to vdk and force VTune to restart.
If you upgrade your kernel, you must build the driver again and deal with the above.
Tim pointed out right way to build & install vtune driver inthe system.
Avoid repeating to do this when system's restarting, please do "/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/install-boot-script --install".

Regards, Peter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - benarisse
When I try to start a new Sampling, I get the message:
"Error: unable to create environment file "./environment.xml" on ...: [ERROR] The Sampling Collector failed to start because the driver is not loaded now!"
I am currently working on an Intel Core i7 920 (2.67 GHz). My OS is Ubuntu 8.10 (Kernel Linux 2.6.27-11-generic).
Yesterday everything works?!
Here is one possibility:
If your installation had to rebuild the VTune driver, the new driver module will appear only in the src director where it was built. When you reboot, VTune can load only drivers present in the vdk directory. So, you must either go to the directory where your new driver is and run the insmod-vtune script (as root), or move the driver module to vdk and force VTune to restart.
If you upgrade your kernel, you must build the driver again and deal with the above.
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - tim18
Here is one possibility:
Avoid repeating to do this when system's restarting, please do "/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/install-boot-script --install".

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
benarisse
Beginner

Regards, Peter

Thanks again!
0 Kudos