Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4992 Discussions

Effective CPU Utilisation histogram

Clift__Neill
Beginner

Hi,

I see this regularly and it confuses me a great deal. My code will essentially be consuming all the available CPU on the system as per say task manager. It also seems to be consuming everything according to vtune's line 'Effective Physical Core Utilization' and the logical beneath it. The histogram though shows a distribution that seems unable to meet the suggested utilization. In case it can't be read in the image it says 97.5% of physical cores, 97.5% of logical cores. The bars for average physical core utilization and average logical core utilization do make sense though.

Clift__Neill_0-1601580155524.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi,

Is your issue resolved? Can we discontinue monitoring this query?

Regards,

Raeesa

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Kirill_U_Intel
Employee

Hi.

Is it possible to share result directory for us? 

We need to have the full picture to understand what could be wrong here.

Kirill

0 Kudos
Clift__Neill
Beginner

Let me know when I can delete this. Every run I do of the microarchitecture exploration has this same issue with this program.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FDkyK9ZQO24JCvoBfvzpi9dsmAWFihVa?usp=sharing

0 Kudos
Clift__Neill
Beginner

Thanks for letting me know and your time looking at this.

0 Kudos
Kirill_U_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could I ask you make some experiment?

Could you profile system instead of attach to process? Is histogram fail in this case?

Overtime picture shows that average values are correct but on some reason we show wrong info for utilization bars

Kirill

0 Kudos
Clift__Neill
Beginner

Never profiled the system before. All this machine is doing is running the program. What I get looks OK:

Clift__Neill_0-1601644624171.png

0 Kudos
Kirill_U_Intel
Employee

ok.

Shared your case with colleagues. Hope we will find the reason of such behavior for attach mode.

Sorry for inconvenience, Kirill

0 Kudos
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi,

Is your issue resolved? Can we discontinue monitoring this query?

Regards,

Raeesa

0 Kudos
Kirill_U_Intel
Employee

In general we have workaround with system wide collection.

VTune team submitted bug on that case to fix that in the next releases.

Kirill

0 Kudos
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for the confirmation. We are discontinuing monitoring this thread. Please raise a new query if you have any further issues.

Regards,

Raeesa

0 Kudos