Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Error 0x8004015

dmitri_chubarov
Beginner

Hello,

during the installation of VTune client 3.0 on a Fedora Core 4 IA32 system we ran into a problem: vtl dies with "Error 0x80040154: Unable to create the VTShell object. Make sure the Shell library is properly installed and registered."

A similar problem has been reported for an earlier version of VTune: "problems invoking vtl" [intel.com]

As it is a DCOM related problem, I ran
for i in /opt/intel/vtune/shared/bin/*.tlb ; do regsvr $i ; done
but that did not help.

Any ideas?

Interestingly,
bash$ sermon checkntd
returns "Ntd is currently not running. Reason = -1" however
bash$ sermon
SERMON> checkntd
says "Ntd is currently running. Pid = 2199"

Is it indeed a EntireX DCOM related problem?

Best regards,
Dima

Message Edited by dmitri.chubarov on 04-19-200611:49 AM

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jeffrey-gallagher
INTERESTING!
Did the installation get far enough along so that the VTune quality feedback agent got installed? If so, its default location would be:
/opt/intel/vtune/bin/vtqfagent
If you can run that you should: and examine the .txt file it creates to look for installation-related failures, or hints thereof.
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
dmitri_chubarov
Beginner
There was a very significant mistake in my previous post which is now corrected. The post is related to VTune 3.0 for Linux, and not 8.0. Thank you for pointing that one out.
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher

DIMA!

I suggest you try VTUNE 8.0 for Linux immediately! And see if the problem goes away, differs, or stays the same.

You can download an evaluation copy from

http://www.intel.com/software/products

IF you chose to try this, you must uninstall VTune 3.0 first, if possible.

:)

cheers

jdg

0 Kudos
dmitri_chubarov
Beginner
Hello,

no quick resolution there. After uninstalling 3.0 and installing 8.0 (ohne compiling the kernel drivers -- another story altogether on the 2.6.16 kernel) have exactly the same problem.

However during the installation of intel-vtune-core-8.0p-245.x32.rpm I get a number of "Failed to load library" messages injected into the vtune_install.log. Possible reason: the rpm binary is a dynamic executable, that depends on libgcc_s.so.1. On my system it ensures that the right version of the library will be loaded, thus breaking the scripts inside the package that depend on a different setting of LD_LIBRARY_PATH. One solution to this problem would've be for the postinstall and preinstall scripts to set up the environment before running commands.

I have found another thread here, where such messages were mentioned: "After installing,i can't run /opt/intel/vtune/bin/vtl!help me".

Back on 3.0 after running regsvr on _all_ shared objects in /opt/intel/vtune/shared/bin got somewhere: the error message from vtl is now
Error 0x80004005: The Reporter Add-in is not available. Make sure that the Shell is properly installed and registered.

I have heard reports of VTune running on Fedora Core 4, so this problem could be dependent on the specific hacks used to make the installation process working.

Message Edited by dmitri.chubarov on 04-20-200601:33 AM

Message Edited by dmitri.chubarov on 04-20-200601:41 AM

0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
If working successfully QUICKLY matters, this may be the fastest route to success:
1) Uninstall VTune 8.0 from your FC server
2) Install it on a SUPPORTED OS, listed in release notes
3) Install the linux remote agent (vtserver) on the FC server
4) Launch profiling activities from the supported server over to the FC server
There is no guarantee that this will work, but, if it does, you'll be profiling almost immediately. If this fails, add the data to the data from your previous postings and open a premier case:
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
dmitri_chubarov
Beginner

As was mentioned earlier in this thread the problem with unregistered Shell component is due to the conflicting shared objects requirements of the rpm binary (gcc 4) and of the EntireX DCOM programs called by the rpm scripts (gcc 3).

In order to install VTune we had to make sure that each program gets the correct shared objects.

The --scripts query option in rpm is also helpful.

Can anybody explain what is the significance of the number 13 in relation to processes running under user `sag'?

0 Kudos
aokunev
Beginner
no magic, just a number of processes/threads for successfully installed, configured and running EntireX.

please let me know if you managed to get any luck with your chalenging project. I know people who're using vtune 8.0 on FC4.

Andrei
0 Kudos
dmitri_chubarov
Beginner
Andrei,

I did not understand your remark:

>no magic, just a number of processes/threads for successfully
>installed, configured and running EntireX.

At the moment I have VTune 3 running and can get VTune 8 running on Fedora Core 4. To get a successfull installation I ended up with installing wrapper scripts for /bin/rpm and some of the other RPM binaries.

For instance, the /sbin/rpm script looks just like that.

-------/sbin/rpm--------------------
#!/bin/bash
rpm_orig=/bin/rpm
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /lib:/usr/lib ${rpm_orig} "$@"
------------------------------------

Dima
0 Kudos
dmitri_chubarov
Beginner
Also, when installing VTune on Fedora Core 4. One has to download the latest driver kit from Intel. Yet, I needed to make some modifications to the .configure script so that the Kit recognised the 2.6.16 kernel correctly.
0 Kudos