Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Error: JVM terminated, exit code = 1

jackyjngwn
Beginner

Hi,

I am trying to use Vtune analyzer 9.1 on my 64-bit Linux. Although my kernel (2.6.9-67.ELsmp) is not officially supported, I was able to run the examples. However, after running my examples using call graph, Vtune began to crash. Now I cannot even start Vtune. I keep getting error "JVM terminated, exit code = 1".

I checked the release nodes, and realized that I need to use Sun JVM 5/6 with Eclipse on 64-bit machines. So I installed Sun JVM 6 in my home directory. However, I can't make Eclipse touse it. I tried to use -vm argument of eclipse, but that didn't help.

Could someone help me with my problem? Thank you very much.

Jacky

0 Kudos
10 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
So why didn't you show us the 'java -version' screen echo to indicate whether you installed the correct version of jre, and got it on your PATH? Apparently, VTune requires the 32-bit jre, even on 64-bit linux where other Intel tools require the 64-bit one.
I don't think the kernel version will tell us whether you installed a distro which symlinks "java" to gcj, or the like; it certainly doesn't tell us whether you corrected that.
I do think the release notes fall short on facilitating installation, but that's not for me to judge, only to make suggestions.
0 Kudos
jackyjngwn
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
So why didn't you show us the 'java -version' screen echo to indicate whether you installed the correct version of jre (the one specifically for linux x86_64), and got it on your PATH?
I don't think the kernel version will tell us whether you installed a distro which symlinks "java" to gcj, or the like; it certainly doesn't tell us whether you corrected that.
I do think the release notes fall short on facilitating installation, but that's not for me to judge, only to make suggestions.

Thanks for your reply. The output of "java -version" on my machine is:

java version "1.6.0_13"
Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_13-b03)
Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.3-b02, mixed mode)

But, it seems that eclipse is still using the jrockit jvm instead of Sun jvm, even though I added "-vm(path to sun jvm)" in eclipse.ini. The error message I got when running vtlec is:

JVM terminated. Exit code=1
/local/lfs1/data/intel/eclipsepackage/3.2.1/jrockit-R27.2.0-jre1.5.0_10/bin/java
-Dosgi.splashLocation=/local/lfs1/data/intel/eclipsepackage/3.2.1/eclipse/plugins/com.intel.sdp.primary_2.0.4/splash.bmp
-Dosgi.sharedConfiguration.area=/local/lfs1/data/vtune/bin/../shared/eclipse/configuration
-jar /local/lfs1/data/intel/eclipsepackage/3.2.1/eclipse/startup.jar
-os linux
-ws gtk
-arch x86
-launcher /local/lfs1/data/intel/eclipsepackage/3.2.1/eclipse/eclipse
-name Eclipse
-showsplash 600
-exitdata 93000b
-vm /home/lzln/jre1.6.0_13/bin
-product com.intel.sdp.primary.product
-perspective com.intel.vtune.shell.tuningPerspective
-vm /local/lfs1/data/intel/eclipsepackage/3.2.1/jrockit-R27.2.0-jre1.5.0_10/bin/java
-vmargs
-Dosgi.splashLocation=/local/lfs1/data/intel/eclipsepackage/3.2.1/eclipse/plugins/com.intel.sdp.primary_2.0.4/splash.bmp
-Dosgi.sharedConfiguration.area=/local/lfs1/data/vtune/bin/../shared/eclipse/configuration
-jar /local/lfs1/data/intel/eclipsepackage/3.2.1/eclipse/startup.jar
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - jackyjngwn

But, it seems that eclipse is still using the jrockit jvm instead of Sun jvm, even though I added "-vm(path to sun jvm)" in eclipse.ini.

For using Sun* jvm instead of default BEA* jvm, do -

export OTHER_JVM_BINDIR=Your Sun JVM/bin directory

Then run vtlec.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Then run vtlec.

Is this the recommendation also for Red Hat 5.3, where the default java is a symlink to gcj, when that is installed?
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - tim18
Is this the recommendation also for Red Hat 5.3, where the default java is a symlink to gcj, when that is installed?

The recommendation is for any user ifs/he failed torun vtlec with the JVM (default is intel/eclipsepackage/3.2.1_8/jrockit-R27.2.0-jre1.5.0_10/bin/java coming with VTune Analyzer package), not only forRed Hat* Enterprise Server.

Since theusers maynot use standard Linux* distro, but they should know what JVM isOK for their system, so that is not only for Sun* JVM, even for other JVM likeas IBM* JVM. (Note that the user has to know what JVM version can be supported in release notes)

The user also canselect anyEclipse* version instead of default coming from VTune Analyzer - just do,
export OTHER_ECLIPSE_BIN=Your Eclipse binary file, before running vtlec. (Usually we don't recommend this, that is only for some users who only like to use unique Eclipse* in the system)

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
jackyjngwn
Beginner

Then run vtlec.

Regards, Peter

Thanks. I did that and still could not start VTune. In $HOME/workspace/.metadata/.log, the following error is reported. Is this because I am using 64-bit linux? But I made sure to install 64-bit Sun JVM.

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /local/lfs1/data/intel/eclipsepackage/3.2.1/eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/93/1/.cp/libswt-pi-gtk-3235.so: /local/lfs1/data/intel/eclipsepackage/3.2.1/ec
lipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/93/1/.cp/libswt-pi-gtk-3235.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (Possible cause: architecture word width mismatch)
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Library.java:123)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS.(OS.java:22)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Converter.java:63)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Converter.java:54)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.(Display.java:126)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createDisplay(Workbench.java:433)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createDisplay(PlatformUI.java:161)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.createDisplay(IDEApplication.java:122)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:75)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:78)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:92)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:68)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:400)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:177)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:336)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:280)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:977)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:952)
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
You said, "...my kernel (2.6.9-67.ELsmp) is not officially supported..." -the kernellooks like Red Hat* Enterprise Linux* 4 Update 6?

I suggest to try Sun* JVM 5.0.

Please understand that you are notworking on a standard Linux* distro which isa supportedoperation systemclaimed inrelease notes, so I can't reproduce this problem on my side. But you may find a standard Linux* versionto compare results. Hope it helps.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
jackyjngwn
Beginner
You said, "...my kernel (2.6.9-67.ELsmp) is not officially supported..." -the kernellooks like Red Hat* Enterprise Linux* 4 Update 6?

I suggest to try Sun* JVM 5.0.

Please understand that you are notworking on a standard Linux* distro which isa supportedoperation systemclaimed inrelease notes, so I can't reproduce this problem on my side. But you may find a standard Linux* versionto compare results. Hope it helps.

Regards, Peter

All right. Will try it. Thanks.

I tried with Sun JVM 5.0 update 18, but got the same error.
0 Kudos
jackyjngwn
Beginner
Quoting - jackyjngwn

All right. Will try it. Thanks.

I tried with Sun JVM 5.0 update 18, but got the same error.

hmm... It seems that the problem is solved. I downloaded Sun JVM 5.0 32-bit, and now I can start Vtune. I'm still confused though. Aren't we supposed to use 64-bit JVM with 64-bit Linux?
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - jackyjngwn

hmm... It seems that the problem is solved. I downloaded Sun JVM 5.0 32-bit, and now I can start Vtune. I'm still confused though. Aren't we supposed to use 64-bit JVM with 64-bit Linux?

Please see v9.1 Update 2's release notes - (I think that is also for JVM)

• The VTuneTM Analyzer 9.1 for Linux* can be integrated only with the 32 bit version of Eclipse 3.2.1 on Intel 64 systems. Integration into a 64-bit version of Eclipse is not supported. [SCR #25119]
  • 0 Kudos