Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Error while configuring sampling wizard

arvindusa
Beginner

Error:unable to create environment file "./environment .xml" on localhost.localdomain(127.0.0.1);[Error]The sampling collector failed to start because th edriver is not loaded now!

what was my mistake ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Assuming you are on a supported processor (check the Release Notes), you need to verify the sampling driver is loaded.

First, as root, look for vtune_drv in the output of lsmod.

Second, if it's not loaded, cd to /opt/intel/vtune/vdk and execute ./insmod-vtune. If the driver does not exist, you will need to build it. cd to /opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src and execute ./build-driver script. The kernel sources must be available and configured correctly - see documentation in .../vdk/src/doc directory.

By the way, if you build a driver in vtune/vdk/src, copy it to vtune/vdk, if you wish it to start automatically at reboot.

kernel source configuration typically is not required for Red Hat style distros, unless you're unlucky enough to have one where the provided source doesn't match the running kernel. For SuSE, the configure process, mentioned in files in vdk/src/doc, consists of running "make cloneconfig;make prepare" in the kernel source directory. Each time online update modifies your kernel, you must repeat the steps beginning with kernel source configuration.

The imminent PTU release contains prebuilt drivers for several current distros.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Assuming you are on a supported processor (check the Release Notes), you need to verify the sampling driver is loaded.

Second, if it's not loaded, cd to /opt/intel/vtune/vdk and execute ./insmod-vtune. If the driver does not exist, you will need to build it. cd to /opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src and execute ./build-driver script. The kernel sources must be available and configured correctly - see documentation in .../vdk/src/doc directory.

Regards,
Mr.Anderson

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

By the way, if you build a driver in vtune/vdk/src, copy it to vtune/vdk, if you wish it to start automatically at reboot.

kernel source configuration typically is not required for Red Hat style distros, unless you're unlucky enough to have one where the provided source doesn't match the running kernel. For SuSE, the configure process, mentioned in files in vdk/src/doc, consists of running "make cloneconfig;make prepare" in the kernel source directory. Each time online update modifies your kernel, you must repeat the steps beginning with kernel source configuration.

The imminent PTU release contains prebuilt drivers for several current distros.

0 Kudos
jaggo
Beginner

I had exactly the same problem and i didn't knew what i have to do, but then i found this thread. I want to thanks Mr. Anderson and tim18 for their posts, it was a good beginning for me to solve my problem.

I have Opensuse 11 and i suggest all guys with opensuse to proceed as following:

1. Open the YAST Software manager

2. Search and install the:

2a. Kernel headers, Kernel debug and Kernel source.

3. As root go to /boot and unpack the vmlinux-2.6.xxxxxxx.zp

4. now go to usr/src/linux and

4a. make cloneconfig

4b. make prepare -----> this will configure the kernel headers!

5. Now follow the instructions of Mr. Anderson how to load the driver or how to install it if its not exist

6. And dont forget to save or copy the driver after the installation under ...../vtune/vdk exactly as tim18 suggest.

Now Vtune Analyzer is ready to start !

Best Regards

jaggo

0 Kudos
kkboyanov
Beginner
I get the same error even though I have the driver listed in the output of lsmod... I didn't bother compiling the driver for my distro (RedHat), as it was already available, but still - what is my mistake?

Cheers,
Konstantin Boyanov

[EDIT]
I have found a workaround, or at least the cause for the error - it is that I have inserted the kernel module "by hand", that is by invoking modprobe in the command line. This does not however create the necessary device files under /dev (at least in my environment), as the script unter /opt/intel/vtune/vdk/insmod-vtune does. So,for inserting it I suggest using the script.
[/EDIT]
0 Kudos