Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Extra thread in vtune profiler

yaridor
Beginner

Hello,

I am running Vtune profiler from oneAPI base toolkit 2022. 

My app creates 8 threads (in addition to the main thread that eventually waits for all of them to complete). It runs perfectly (with good load balancing between the C++ threads). However, I see an extra idle thread. In my specific app, I get 10 threads instead of 9. It happens with every app I run.

I am sharing two snapshots. One indicates 10 threads (instead of 9) and the other is the platform view of all threads. The extra thread is on the very bottom.  

I am running on win10. the app was compiled with MS visual compiler 2022.

what and why is this extra thread ? 

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities. This is a known scenario. There is a possibility where a function calls another function. So a new thread would be assigned to function 1 and sits idle till the function 2 execution is completed. Hence, you're observing an extra thread in the pane.

If this resolves your issue, make sure to accept this as a solution. This helps others with the similar issue.

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
yaridor
Beginner

Understood. case resolved. Thanks, Yariv

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Glad to know that your issue is resolved. If you need any further assistance, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos