Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4974 Discussions

Failed to generate map.events file on system wide analysis

Ken_R_Intel
Employee

I am trying to do a system wide analysis on a Linux machine.  I get the following:

/proc/sys/kernel # /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe/bin64/amplxe-cl  -collect general-exploration -knob enable-stack-collection=true  --duration unlimited --result-dir /tmp/woody
amplxe: Warning: Managed code profiling is not supported for the specified configuration.
amplxe: Warning: To profile kernel modules during the session, make sure they are available in the /lib/modules/kernel_version/ location.
amplxe: Error: Failed to generate map.events file. Data collection is interrupted.
amplxe: Internal Error

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

If you did system wide profiling, option "-knob enable-stack-collection=true" is not supported & you have to specify duration. Please do -

amplxe-cl  -collect general-exploration -duration 120  --duration unlimited --result-dir /tmp/woody

P.S> Please use latest VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2016 or U1.

0 Kudos
Yves_V_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I'm also getting the same error when trying out the general-exploration analysis type via the command line tool. Setting the duration does not seem to have any effect:

~$ amplxe-cl -collect general-exploration -duration 120 ls
amplxe: Warning: To profile kernel modules during the session, make sure they are available in the /lib/modules/kernel_version/ location.
amplxe: Error: Failed to generate map.events file. Data collection is interrupted.
amplxe: Internal Error

advanced-hotspots collection is working fine though. I am using the following version: Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2016 (build 424694)

The CPU in question is a Xeon  E5-2699 v3 (Haswell)

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Please specify your Linux distro and release.

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Please move to VTune Amplifier 2016 Update 1 - this should help to eliminate the issue of driverless general exloration collection on HSW processor.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos