Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

False negative - uninitalised variable.

perroe
Beginner
Hi

When compiling and running the attached file Intel Inspector 2011 XE reports "No Problems detected" even though the has_string_ class member variable is used uninitalized. This is a simplified version of a real problem which gave a crash. The problem was found using Valgrind, which correctly reported that a we conditioned on an uninitialised variable.

I'm using Intel Inspector 2011 XE Update 9 (build 218166).

Regards,

Per Re
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mark_D_Intel
Employee
The object 'Test' is allocated on the stack, and by default stack accesses are not analyzed. In the GUI, at the 'Locate Memory Problems' screen, check the box 'Analyze stack accesses'. (From the command line, 'inspxe-cl -collect mi3 -knob analyze-stack-true uma.exe). The uninitialized access of has_string_ is detected when stack analysis is turned on.

Mark
0 Kudos
perroe
Beginner
Yes, I've run with "analyze stack accesses" checked, but Inspector still does not detect any problems.

Per
0 Kudos
Mark_D_Intel
Employee
What OS and compiler versions are you using? I tried the attached example on RH6.1 with gcc 4.4.5 and IXE was able to detect the uninitialized access.

Mark
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Quoting perroe
When compiling and running the attached file Intel Inspector 2011 XE reports "No Problems detected" even though the has_string_ class member variable is used uninitalized...

[SergeyK] I just checked the value of the member in the Visual StudioDebugger and it was initialized to 'true'.
Sorry, but I have noidea why it is reported as uninitialized.

This is a simplified version of a real problem which gave a crash. The problem was found using Valgrind, which correctly reported that a we conditioned on an uninitialised variable.

I'm using Intel Inspector 2011 XE Update 9 (build 218166).

Regards,

Per Re

I used a modified Test-Case and I didn't have any problems in Debug and Release configurations. Please take a look:

[cpp]class CTest { public: CTest( const std::string &string ) : string_( string ) { }; void DoSomething( void ) { if( has_string_ ) printf( "%sn", string_.c_str() ); }; private: bool has_string_; std::string string_; }; [/cpp]

As you can see I'm using 'string_.c_str()' instead of 'string_' when output needs to be done.

Best regards,
Sergey

0 Kudos
perroe
Beginner
What OS and compiler versions are you using? I tried the attached example on RH6.1 with gcc 4.4.5 and IXE was able to detect the uninitialized access.

Mark

I'm using Inspector with Visual Studio 2010 on Windows 7. The Valgrind run was done on RH5 with gcc.

Per

0 Kudos