Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Fatal error: Cannot start collection: failed to create result directory. : No Permission

pmonday
Beginner
I know, that's a pretty blatant message. But, I'm a bit thrown, when I am using mpiexec and inspector or amplxe to collect performance metrics, I just started receiving this error. I accidentally ran as root once, I also switched from an older set of libiomp5.so to a new one, now I can't seem to get inspector OR amplifier to collect data on my application.

[paul.monday@pg-v2]$ mpiexec -machinefile nodes.8proc8node -n 4 inspxe-cl -r inspxemi2 -collect mi2 /mnt/shared/apps/test 1000
The profiled process has the MPI rank of 3. The rank will be a suffix of the result name.
The profiled process has the MPI rank of 2. The rank will be a suffix of the result name.
The profiled process has the MPI rank of 0. The rank will be a suffix of the result name.
Used suppression file(s): []
The profiled process has the MPI rank of 1. The rank will be a suffix of the result name.
Fatal error: Cannot start collection: failed to create result directory. : No permission
Fatal error: Cannot start collection: failed to create result directory. : No permission

I've cleaned out the directories of old traces, rooted through /tmp and ran alternately as root and my local user, nothing seems to shake these permissions problems (I've verified that my user and root can make directories).

Is there a way to get a more detailed error message?

Thanks,
Paul Monday
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kirill_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Paul,

By default result directory is created in the same place as your analysed binary (/mnt/shared/apps/ in your case). This seems to be a network location. The user running Amplifier or Inspector should have network-wide credentials to access to shared folders. Users, local to the target machine, can have no permissions to the share. Try to specify local folder for analysis:

inspxe-cl -r inspxemi2 -collect mi2 -result-dir /home/my_dir /mnt/shared/apps/test 1000

So the user running the tools should have access to both machines: target node performing analysis collection and shared directory to store results.

0 Kudos