Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

GPU hotspots analysis Ubuntu 16.04

LE_CORRE__YANN
Beginner

Hi,

I'm trying to run a GPU hotspot analysis but I'm stuck with the error message "Cannot collect GPU hardware metrics. Make sure the Intel OpenCL SDK of Intel Media SK is installed".

However, both are installed (from Media Server Studio 2018 R1). I can run and compile OpenCL GPU applications and vainfo executes correctly.

I'm running a fresh and clean install of Ubuntu 16.04 with kernel 4.15. The version of vtune is 2018 update 3.

The script "ampl-self-checker.sh" runs successfully but the generated report shows:

areGpuHardwareMetricsAvailable: InitializationError

i915Status: KernelNotPatched

As far as I understand, with kernel 4.15, my i915 driver should be up-to-date and should not require any patching. Is this correct ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Yann

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Egor_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi Yann,

Thank you for the report! I suggest that Metric Discovery(MD) library that is installed on your system cannot work with the 4.15 kernel. I recommend following:

1. to backup already installed libmd.so library (usually, it is installed in /opt/intel/opencl)
  2. to compile and install MD library from https://github.com/intel/metrics-discovery

Please note that MD library should be dynamically linked with libstdc++ 3.4.20 (or lower) or MD library should be linked with static libstdc++. If MD library is dynamically linked with libstdc++ > 3.4.20 you can use following workaround: 

# LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_2018/bin64/amplxe-gui

Additional instruction: https://github.com/intel/compute-runtime/blob/master/documentation/TOOLS.md

Thanks,
Egor

0 Kudos
LE_CORRE__YANN
Beginner

Hi Egor,

Recompiling the MD library was indeed the solution.

Thanks for your help!

Yann

0 Kudos