Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Gathering advanced hotspot data from a remote system

roger_w_1
Beginner

Hey all,

I am trying to follow the guidelines in https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/resolving-symbol-references-after-data-collection

to attempt and collect data from a remote location and use the Re-Resolve feature to resolve the symbols.

I have downloaded the Amplifier CLI tools and ran the Advanced Hotspots process on a remote system and copied the project file to my workstation, I then set up the symbol paths to point to both my project's symbols folder and Microsoft's.

I then attempted to re-resolve the symbols, Amplifier then followed to emit several warnings about not being able to find files such as "C:\windows\syswow64\kernel32.dll" which are obviously present on my development machine.

After the process finished I noticed none of the symbols were loaded, not mine nor Microsoft's.

Since the collection was done on a remote machine I do not have the binary files on my machine, only the project files and the symbols that match those remote binaries, was I wrong to assume I would be able to resolve them? Do I need to copy the binary files from the remote machine to my machine to be able to resolve the symbols locally?

I was also expecting Amplifier to be able to resolve the Windows symbols no matter what since all that is required (from my understanding) is a hash of the file to be able to retrieve the symbols from the Microsoft symbol server yet none of the symbols for the Windows DLL's seem to have been loaded and the local symbol cache I have set up (via the srv* path syntax) seems to be empty.

Can anyone shed some light on the process and what are the steps I would need to undertake to be able to collect data on one machine and resolve the symbols and results on another. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

> Since the collection was done on a remote machine I do not have the binary files on my machine, only the project files and the symbols that match those remote binaries, was I wrong to assume I would be able to resolve them? Do I need to copy the binary files from the remote machine to my machine to be able to resolve the symbols locally?

Yes. You have to copy symbol files from remote to local, use "amplxe-cl -finalize -search-dir=sym-dir -r r00?ah" to do similar thing on VTune GUI to re-resolve.

If you want to receive symbols from Microsoft symbol server, please read this article.

0 Kudos