Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4994 Discussions

Help for using VTune in Linux

ankit_agarwal
Beginner
Hi,
I have installed VTune in Fedora 10. I also saw the example that it has.
I am quite new to these things and I am really having a hard time figuring out things.
My application has the binary and libs separate and its get loaded at runtime.
Whenever i try to give the binary to VTune, it doesnt accept it and ask for the binary again.
I can't understand what could be the reason. I am sure there is something very basic that I am not taking care of.

Thanks.
Regards,
Ankit.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
srimks
New Contributor II
Quoting - ankit_agarwal
Hi,
I am quite new to these things and I am really having a hard time figuring out things.
Whenever i try to give the binary to VTune, it doesnt accept it and ask for the binary again.
I can't understand what could be the reason. I am sure there is something very basic that I am not taking care of.

Thanks.
Regards,
Ankit.

Ankit.

Did you had any chance to go through examples of "Getting_Started" VTunedocument. Please refer this document and go through the examples and steps as suggested for all three - First Use Wizard, Call Graph & Event Based Sampling.

~BR
0 Kudos
ankit_agarwal
Beginner
Quoting - srimks
Quoting - ankit_agarwal
Hi,

Thanks.
Regards,
Ankit.

Ankit.

Did you had any chance to go through examples of "Getting_Started" VTune document. Please refer this document and go through the examples and steps as suggested for all three - First Use Wizard, Call Graph & Event Based Sampling.

~BR
Hi,
I'd go through that document. I tries out with the sample that is givein along with the vTune. But, when I am trying to do the same with my application, it just isn't working.
The problem even after giving the binary to VTune, it asks for the executable.
Please suggest.

Regards,
Ankit.
0 Kudos
srimks
New Contributor II
Quoting - ankit_agarwal
Quoting - srimks
Quoting - ankit_agarwal
Hi,

Thanks.
Regards,
Ankit.

Ankit.

Did you had any chance to go through examples of "Getting_Started" VTune document. Please refer this document and go through the examples and steps as suggested for all three - First Use Wizard, Call Graph & Event Based Sampling.

~BR
Hi,
I'd go through that document. I tries out with the sample that is givein along with the vTune. But, when I am trying to do the same with my application, it just isn't working.
Please suggest.

Regards,
Ankit.
Could you perform and check by executing command "ldd [exectuable]" for your executable and check its dependency. if any one is/are missing try providing using LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

~BR
0 Kudos
ankit_agarwal
Beginner
Quoting - srimks
Quoting - ankit_agarwal
Quoting - srimks
Quoting - ankit_agarwal
Hi,

Thanks.
Regards,
Ankit.

Ankit.

~BR
Hi,
Please suggest.

Regards,
Ankit.
Could you perform and check by executing command "ldd [exectuable]" for your executable and check its dependency. if any one is/are missing try providing using LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

~BR

Hi,
We have a "run.sh" shell script file through which we run the application. In this file, we set the lib using LD_LIBRARY_PATH before calling the application's binary.

Regards,
Ankit.
0 Kudos
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - ankit_agarwal

Hi,
We have a "run.sh" shell script file through which we run the application. In this file, we set the lib using LD_LIBRARY_PATH before calling the application's binary.

Regards,
Ankit.

Ankit,

Just to make sure that we are on the same page: You are executing your script "run.sh" as application inside VTune. After the successfull data collection, when you want to view the collected data, VTune asks for your binary. However VTune does not accept your binary. What is the exact error message?

Kind regards
Thomas
0 Kudos
ankit_agarwal
Beginner
Quoting - ankit_agarwal

Hi,

Regards,
Ankit.

Ankit,

Just to make sure that we are on the same page: You are executing your script "run.sh" as application inside VTune. After the successfull data collection, when you want to view the collected data, VTune asks for your binary. However VTune does not accept your binary. What is the exact error message?

Kind regards
Thomas
Hi Thomas,
I didn't mean that. I meant that we have a "run.sh" script that calls the binary of our application. I am not executing this script inside VTune.
Do I need to do something of this sort? If yes, then how do I do so?
I am really using a profiler for the first time and I have absolutly no idea what should I do. Please suggest.

Regards,
Ankit.
0 Kudos
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - ankit_agarwal
Hi Thomas,
I didn't mean that. I meant that we have a "run.sh" script that calls the binary of our application. I am not executing this script inside VTune.
I am really using a profiler for the first time and I have absolutly no idea what should I do. Please suggest.

Regards,
Ankit.

Ankit,

When you set up your VTune Project, simply choose your "run.sh" as the application to launch. Additionally, you need to add your binary to the "modules of interest" and remove the script from this list. This way, VTune can execute the application using your script, but target the binary for the profiling.

Further details can be found in the VTune documentation, e.g. if you search for "script".

Kind regards
Thomas
0 Kudos
ankit_agarwal
Beginner
Quoting - ankit_agarwal
Hi Thomas,

Regards,
Ankit.

Ankit,

When you set up your VTune Project, simply choose your "run.sh" as the application to launch. Additionally, you need to add your binary to the "modules of interest" and remove the script from this list. This way, VTune can execute the application using your script, but target the binary for the profiling.

Further details can be found in the VTune documentation, e.g. if you search for "script".

Kind regards
Thomas

Thanks Thomas. I shall try out. Just another thing for now, do I need to make some changes in the Makefile as well apart from setting up the debugging flag for the compiler?

Regards,
Ankit.
0 Kudos
srimks
New Contributor II
Quoting - ankit_agarwal

Thanks Thomas. I shall try out. Just another thing for now, do I need to make some changes in the Makefile as well apart from setting up the debugging flag for the compiler?

Regards,
Ankit.
Debugging flag "-g" is very well needed, w/o it profiler 'll fail to instruement the code. You don't have to make any changes in makefile, until unless your FLAGS for CPP, CXX, CFF, LD are fine w.r.t your PATH.

~BR
0 Kudos