Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Hotspots in libm/libc with no associated symbols

Sam_B_1
Beginner

I'm using VTune Amplifier XE on linux and there are entries in the hotspot function list that are just "libm-2.17.so" and "libc-2.17.so" without any symbol name and with "0" in the start address field.  It's showing other symbols for these libraries like "exp" and "memcmp" so it's not like the symbol table is missing.  The libm-2.17.so entry accounts for the majority of my program's runtime and I'd like to find out what function call it's associated with.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

First at all, make sure if your libm-2.17.so has symbol info - use "nm -a binary". Please check if there are start address for your interest of function. I don't know why it can showed "memcmp" and "exp" if there is no symbol info. It should use "[module-name]" instead of hot function names.

If you have multiple versions of libm-2.17, you should specify the path (which was really called in data collection) to do finalize - after data collecting, such as:

Using “amplxe-cl -finalize --search-dir sym:rp=new-dir-libm-2.17 -r result-dir”, for example.

0 Kudos