Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ayam
Beginner

How can I profile the java application for hotspot analysis?

Hello,

I am running the wordcount example of hadoop on intel vtune for hotspot analysis. Command is bin/hadoop jar /usr/local/hadoop/hadoop-examples-1.2.1.jar wordcount inputfile outputfile. Hotspot analysis provides the modules information libzip.so, [compiled java code], [Dynamic code], libjvm.so, libc-2.17.so, libz.so.1.2.8 and [unknown]. My understanding is that [unknown] module is the wordcount application. However, to be sure I want to see what function inside the wordcount example are the hotspot functions. 

I have tried to recompile the java source code with the -g flag and updated the jar file however I still can not see what is inside the unknown module.  

Can you please tell me what is the best way to solve this issue?

System information: Intel Atom with Linux OS

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Bernard
Black Belt

Did you try to run javap on your app? Were you able to see function definitions with corresponding bytecode?

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/tools/windows/javap.html

Ayam
Beginner

@iliyapolak I have just tried running the application with javap. I have attached the output "named "wordcount_javap" with this message along the hotspot analysis of the same application on the intel vtune. How can I used javap output for hotspot analysis.

William_B_Intel1
Employee

In your project properties within VTune Analyzer did you set the Binary/Symbol Search and Source Search paths to include your application source and symbol information?  It's possible that VTune is not finding the symbol information in its default search path.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/529868#E0E52E09-C680-462D-9876-56471E70E68A  "To edit analysis target properties in an existing project:"  Step 2, look for additional tab options at the top, default will be "Target".

Bernard
Black Belt

>>>How can I used javap output for hotspot analysis.>>>

Javap is not designed for hotspot analysis. I asked you to run javap on your code classes in order to see if methods names and their bytecode can be properly resolved.

Btw, wordcount_javap bytecode belongs only to main function.How many classes does your app build upon?

Ayam
Beginner

My application is wordcount example of hadoop. I am accessing the wordcount.class from the hadoop hadoop-examples-1.2.1.jar  file. I have attached the source code with this message for the reference. 

Bernard
Black Belt

Thanks for posting sources now it is clear that most of the functionality is imported.