Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

How can I programmed an event counter with different configuration in vtune?

zhaoguo_w_
Beginner

Sometimes, we need to program the msr to get the statistics we want. For example, to get cycles in transactions, we need to configure IA32_PERFEVTSEL2 with the IN_TX and IN_TXCP filters and use Unhalted_Core_Cycles will get the cycles in transactions. But vtune exposes this kind of interface? Or we need program the msr manually before the profiling?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...But vtune exposes this kind of interface?.. It would be great if VTune will have such functionality or interfaces some day. In case of Windows platforms OLE Automation is a very powerful tool but an application needs to support it. I don't think that it could be easily done for VTune.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Only if VTune exposes to programmer some kind of API you can do what you asked.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
VTune is implemented as a Monolithic application and I don't know if any APIs will be provided. Please consider PCM as a workaround.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

There is Task API available to VTune users,but it does not expose low level access.

0 Kudos
zhaoguo_w_
Beginner

Would you give me the link to the chapter in the documentation for these kind of API?

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

VTune Amplifier XE does not provide this type of access.  The point is to abstract that level of detail away from the user.

As was mentioned earlier, Performance Counter Monitor (PCM), now shipped with the VTune Amplifier XE, may meet your needs.

0 Kudos
Roman_D_Intel
Employee

@zhaoguo

Intel PCM 2.5 (www.intel.com/software/pcm) supports API to program IN_TX and IN_TXCP filters and use Unhalted_Core_Cycles to get the cycles in Intel TSX transactions (and also aborted cycles). There is also pcm-tsx utility that allows to monitor these and other TSX metrics without requiring you to write your own tool. Here is a blog on how to use it.

Roman

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>As was mentioned earlier, Performance Counter Monitor (PCM), now shipped with the VTune Amplifier XE, may meet your needs.>>>

Did not know that PCM is now used with VTune Amplifier XE.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

@ iliyapolak 

PCM is NOT used with VTune Amlifier XE. It means that PCM collects data and displays report by PCM itself. 

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Peter Wang (Intel) wrote:

@ iliyapolak 

PCM is NOT used with VTune Amlifier XE. It means that PCM collects data and displays report by PCM itself. 

Thanks Peter for explaining this.

0 Kudos