Analyzers
Support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4557 Discussions

How can I use source-based tuning advice?

junsun2h
Beginner
There is a problem to use "source-based tuning advice" Function.
There are several error message when I execute "Tuning Assistant" to the code with activating "source-based tuning advice"

c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\INCLUDE\\yvals.h(595): error: identifier "__thiscall" is undefined
explicit __thiscall _Lockit(); // set default lock
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\INCLUDE\\yvals.h(595): error: "explicit" is not allowed
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\INCLUDE\\yvals.h(595): error: member function with the same name as its class must be a constructor

I found a article that VTUNE doesn't support VS2008.
so I changed the environment variables to VS2003. However, there are following errors

c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\VC7\\INCLUDE\\xhash(681): error #698: the modifier "deprecated" is not allowed on this declaration
class _DEPRECATED hash_compare
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\VC7\\INCLUDE\\hash_map(274): error #698: the modifier "deprecated" is not allowed on this declaration
class _DEPRECATED hash_map
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\VC7\\INCLUDE\\hash_map(365): error #698: the modifier "deprecated" is not allowed on this declaration
class _DEPRECATED hash_multimap
c:\\works\\soulhunt\\mdk\\realspace3\\stdafx.h(38): catastrophic error: could not open source file "windows.h"
#include

My setting of source-based tuning advice is ..
22836-Clipboard03.jpg

xp / core2 quad / visualstudio 2008 / vtune 9.1
I want to know what I have to do to get right values of "tunning advice"
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi there,

Please read info from online help - "...However, configuring the Tuning Assistant (source-based advice) to provide such advice can be complicated and so is not recommended for default use...

Source-based advice is not available for projects created by the Microsoft* Visual Studio* .NET* environment."

Usually "source-based advice" is disabled in default, we are using assembly-based advice.

Have you tried Intel C++ compiler for source-based advice?

Regards, Peter

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi there,

Please read info from online help - "...However, configuring the Tuning Assistant (source-based advice) to provide such advice can be complicated and so is not recommended for default use...

Source-based advice is not available for projects created by the Microsoft* Visual Studio* .NET* environment."

Usually "source-based advice" is disabled in default, we are using assembly-based advice.

Have you tried Intel C++ compiler for source-based advice?

Regards, Peter

View solution in original post