Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

How do I find number of Instructions causing thread to suspend?

Reshmi_Mitra
Beginner
I am studying factors causing a thread to suspend.

1. How do I find the number of instructions causing a thread to suspend using VTune?
  2. How do I find the L1 & L2 cache miss latency for Xeon E 5405?
Thanks in advance,
Reshmi
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi Reshmi,

1. Thread is suspended, that should be one of these situations- wait for single or multiple objectives, enter a critical section, wait for an event signal. I don't think that VTune Performance Analyzer is helpful to find where the code is "halted".I strongly suggest touse Intel Thread Profiler to view results from time line, that displays all threads' activities, including thread's transition and support source view.

2. Xeon E5405 is Quad Core, please Modify Activity-> Configure Sampling-> Select "Event Ratio" tab -> Select "L2 Cache Ratios" from Ratio Groups-> Select "L2 Cache Miss Rate" -> click ">>" to add into "Selected Ratios". Thus, corresponding event L2_LINES_IN.SELF.ANY will be added into "Selected Events"

Do same thing for the ratio "L1 Data Cache Miss", then "L1D_REPL" will be added into "Selected Events"

Hope it helps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi Reshmi,

1. Thread is suspended, that should be one of these situations- wait for single or multiple objectives, enter a critical section, wait for an event signal. I don't think that VTune Performance Analyzer is helpful to find where the code is "halted".I strongly suggest touse Intel Thread Profiler to view results from time line, that displays all threads' activities, including thread's transition and support source view.

2. Xeon E5405 is Quad Core, please Modify Activity-> Configure Sampling-> Select "Event Ratio" tab -> Select "L2 Cache Ratios" from Ratio Groups-> Select "L2 Cache Miss Rate" -> click ">>" to add into "Selected Ratios". Thus, corresponding event L2_LINES_IN.SELF.ANY will be added into "Selected Events"

Do same thing for the ratio "L1 Data Cache Miss", then "L1D_REPL" will be added into "Selected Events"

Hope it helps
0 Kudos
Reshmi_Mitra
Beginner
Hi,

Thanks for your help. I went with the number of cycles for finding a probability in my model, instead of finding the number of instructions for specific events.

regards,
Reshmi
0 Kudos