Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

How to identify lock overhead with VTune analyzer

narunitk
Beginner
I am using Vtune analyzer to identify performance bottlenecks in a multithreaded application(BIND 9) on my IA-32, Fedora Core 3 system. What type of profiling i have to do to get correct results. I want to find waiting time for each thread to get lock. how is it possible with VTune analyzer?
ThankingYou
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Intel_C_Intel
Employee

Hi:

The VTune analyzer won't be able to tell you about the time it takes to get a lock. The Intel Threading Tools provide a better solution for that problem. You can get information about them at: http://www.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/threading/index.htm

Cheers,

JackD

0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher

If you're using the VTune for Windows product with its Linux remote agent, you are ready to install the threading tools most likely.

If you are using the VTune for Linux software, however, there are no threading tools for that just yet, so there will be a few more steps to do. Nothing complicated, but here are the steps:

1) Uninstall the VTune for Linux software from the Linux server, if it's still installed

2) Obtain the VTune for Windows product, and install it on a Windows PC on the network

3) Obtain and install the Thread Checker and Thread Analyzer onto that VTune for Windows software

4) Go over to your target Linux server and Install the Linux remote agent (vtserver) that came with the VTune for Windows product

All set!

cheers

jdg

Message Edited by jdgallag on 03-22-2006 10:09 AM

0 Kudos