Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

How to integrate VTune 9.0 within Visual C++ 2005 IDE

minixer
Beginner
Hi all,

I am a new bie of VTune and just download a copy of it for the evaluaton on my Windows XP SP2 + VC 2005, I want to integrate it within my Visual C++ 2005 IDE. As the install completion, I didn't saw the "Tuning menu" in my VC 2005 IDE.

From a article tiltled with "About Microsoft* Visual Studio* .NET* Integration" in the online help, it mentioned as following:

----------------------
When you install certain VTune Performance Tools on a system that has Microsoft* Visual Studio* .NET*, you have the option to integrate the VTune tool into the Visual Studio .NET environment. This feature enables you to create and tune your application within a single environment.

Examples of VTune Performance Tools:

• VTune Performance Analyzer

• VTune Enterprise Analyzer

Note

Please note that for this release, you can only integrate the VTune Performance Analyzer into the Microsoft* Visual Studio* .NET* environment.

Follow the general instructions provided in this online help to analyze the performance of your Visual Studio .NET application.

----------------------

But I didn't find the proper setting instruction to integrate VTune within VC 2005, could you tell me the detail or where is the detailed illustration for it.

Thank you very much.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
scorp007
Beginner
If you did a custom installation, you must ensure you selected "MS Visual Studio 2005 Integration" from the list of features.
0 Kudos
Andrey_Pavlenko
Beginner

Hi,

could you specify the exact VTune package you have tried?
Please open the "support.txt" file in the folder you installed VTune or in the install media folder and copy here its content.

Did you see the "VS2005Integration" feature on the Custom Setup Dialog? You can start "Modify" mode from the Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs or using certain shortcut in VTune section of Start menu and use this dialog again to change installed features.

/Andy.

0 Kudos
minixer
Beginner
Hi, goodscorpion,Andy and all,

Thanks for your attention.

(1) I didn't find the "VS2005Integration" feature on the Custom Setup Dialog : (
(2)I start "modify" mode from the control panel but remain see the "VS2005 Integration" feature in the setup dialog :(
(3) The content of support.txt is as following:
Package ID: w_vt_pu_9.0.024
Package Contents: "Intel VTune Performance Analyzer 9.0 Update 5 for Windows*"
Build Number: 623
Build ID: 2007.09.20 12:02:41

0 Kudos
Andrey_Pavlenko
Beginner
Hi,

The only thing I can say now is that VTune install didn't detect VS presence in your system. To analyze the reason of this we need to have install log and some other logs descried below. Please find time to submit a bug at https://premier.intel.com/ and attach (zip-compressed) logs files. It will allow us to improve the install in future releases.

VTune install log file is located in the folder specified in your TEMP environment variable (e.g. C:Documents and SettingsSomeBodyLocal SettingsTemp or like), look for the "vtinstlog.txt" file there and ZIP it.

Besides, run the "vtqfagent.cmd" from the folder you installed VTune, wait for the completion and open "My Documents" folder. ZIP the "vtqfagent_log" folder there and

Please attach both zip-archives to your bug-report.

0 Kudos
Andrey_Pavlenko
Beginner

One more question:

Don't you use Visual Studio Express Edition?

Just FYI: VTune cannot be integrated into the Express Edition at all.

/Andy.

0 Kudos
howey
Beginner

HI Andy,

I am new to Vtune Performance Analyzer as well. Do you know how can I use Vtune with OpenSSL? For instance, i run the

application /usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl

argument md5 test1 test2

working directory /usr/local/ssl/bin

How can i find thebottleneck of the code? Test1 and Test2 are just test file with a simple for loop inside.I am just learning how to useVtune.

Another question, since Vtune isusing lcc compiler. Howdo wechange everything so that we can use Intel C++ Compiler gcc??

Need you advice very much. thanks.

0 Kudos
Andrey_Pavlenko
Beginner

Hi.

I'm sorry but the last message is some kind of off-topic here. This forum section discusses VTune for Windows and this particular thread - the VS 2005 integration issues.

Could you re-submit your question in the Linux forum section?

/Andy.

0 Kudos