Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

How to profile SAS RAID controller card driver under Windows?

mfcking
Beginner

Hi,

I'm new to VTune of Windows (I did use VTune for Linux). I have two questions about using VTune for Windowsto profile the SAS RAID controller card driver activities during intensive IO workload.

First question:I don't have a cluewhich application or module files I should add to the activity(the driver itself file is .sys file).

Second question is as almost all Windows drivers do not come with source code or don't build with debug/symbol information, can VTune for Windows still drill down into each function in the module?

Thanks,

Liang

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mfcking
Beginner

Anybody can help me?

0 Kudos
ranjithkumar-chandra

Hi,

we recently procured two Z4402-DG-003 SERVERS WITH SAS RAID KEY

INTEL SERVERS FOR OUR ORGANISATION, to my disappointment the two

servers gave us lot of troubles as we don't get enough support from the OEM vendor and

his engineers failed to configure OS on these servers. Every day they experiment, but no

results. Intel servers are lying unutilised in our premises.

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I
Liang,

Let me ask you some questions:

Why do you want to profile SAS RAID driver for which you don't have the source code?

If you don't have the source code how do you intend to optimize the driver if you determine that there is any room for improvement?

The only thing I can tell you is that each driver executes in the context of the application which initiates the workload. So, theoretically you could profile some I/O intensive application and driver's .sys file should show up in the VTune.

siniranji,

This is not an end-user support forum.

0 Kudos