Analyzers
Community support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
4969 Discussions

Idea for more user friendly VTune.

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Hello.

When a new version of Intel Fortran has been installed, it is not always easy for Intel VTune to match the .exe and the .pdb made by the compiler. So one has instead to generate a .map file to use Intel VTune with the new compiler. This is at least my impression, I may of course have misunderstood something about the setup, but it is my impression that the .pdb is not understood by VTune. The drawback is then that one cannot do profiling at the code line level (using the .pdb file), but do profiling at the function/subroutine level only (usingt the .map file).

So, instead of the messages given in the attached word document, it would have been nice with some more information about exactly what is the problem with the .pdb file since it cannot be matched with the .exe by VTune.

(I have posted a premier support issue to Intel Fortran since this seems to be a problem with Intel Fortran and not Intel VTune).

Best Regards,

Lars Petter Endresen
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Hello,

The best workaround when this happens is to have the 9.0 and the 8.1 versions of Intel Fortran installed side-by-side and then use the 8.1 with VTune as this version generates a .pdb file that Vtune manages to match with the .exe file.

Best Reagrds

Lars Petter
0 Kudos
izryu
Beginner
Hi,
I've had exactly the same problem and solved it by reinstalling Vtune.
Yuri.
0 Kudos