Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Installer hangs & vTune hangs

Daniel_Faken
Beginner

Hi,

I'm trying to evaluate vTune 9.1 on a Core-2 Duo (T9600) laptop, but cannot get it to run..

I had previously installed 9.0 even though it warned it didn't support my machine, since we have a license for that version, but I uninstalled it since it hung after displaying the splash screen.

The new 9.1 installer hung, but pausing it in the debugger (twice) got it to wake up & finish installation... kind of strange but it did finish installation.

When I start up the installed version, however, it just shows a splash screen and hangs. Process Monitor shows vtuneenv.exe & vtunecca.exe running but having used no CPU time. One time it has popped up what looked like the main window but after that it did not redraw & is still frozen.

This is with Windows XP SP3. I can run the intel compilers fine.. Not sure if this has to do with having installed the earlier unsupported version. Don't see any errant environment variables. Did the previous install set some system property that is now causing problems? I would guess it is hanging in some kind of hardware-probe query....

thanks,

Daniel

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting Daniel Faken

Hi,

I'm trying to evaluate vTune 9.1 on a Core-2 Duo (T9600) laptop, but cannot get it to run..

I had previously installed 9.0 even though it warned it didn't support my machine, since we have a license for that version, but I uninstalled it since it hung after displaying the splash screen.

The new 9.1 installer hung, but pausing it in the debugger (twice) got it to wake up & finish installation... kind of strange but it did finish installation.

When I start up the installed version, however, it just shows a splash screen and hangs. Process Monitor shows vtuneenv.exe & vtunecca.exe running but having used no CPU time. One time it has popped up what looked like the main window but after that it did not redraw & is still frozen.

This is with Windows XP SP3. I can run the intel compilers fine.. Not sure if this has to do with having installed the earlier unsupported version. Don't see any errant environment variables. Did the previous install set some system property that is now causing problems? I would guess it is hanging in some kind of hardware-probe query....

thanks,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

It is hard to image what happens on your side. but I have below suggestions:

1. If you have uninstalled prior v9.0,also delete VTunedirectory manuallyin hard disk, as well as"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel Corporation\VTune Performance Environment" in registry table- then install the new product.

2.Terminate other unnecessary software (CPU usage is lower), then install v9.1 - the installer will go quickly and smoothly.

Hopefully the thing gets better!

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
Daniel_Faken
Beginner

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. I uninstalled, and removed the directory. The registry key was not present.

Reinstalling again was successful, although vTune did hang a long time at startup - but this turned out to be misconfiguration of the trial license (it was looking for a license server), and setting INTEL_LICENSE_FILE to the path to the trial license fixed the problem.

So I'm not sure what the problem was - but thanks for the help!

Daniel

0 Kudos