Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Intel Thread Checker hungs on start

hitfounder
Beginner
I try to use Intel Thread Checker but can't check even samples. Then I try to folow getting started guide and perform "tcheck_cl ./primes.gcc" Thread Checker hungs just after two strings:
"Intel Thread Checker 3.1 command line instrumentation driver (27583)
Copyright (c) 2007 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved."

I use Intel Thread Checker 3.1_012 for Linux. Operating system is Ubuntu 8.10 server clear setup. Cpu is Intel Core Duo E2160
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ymost
New Contributor I
Quoting - hitfounder
I try to use Intel Thread Checker but can't check even samples. Then I try to folow getting started guide and perform "tcheck_cl ./primes.gcc" Thread Checker hungs just after two strings:

I use Intel Thread Checker 3.1_012 for Linux. Operating system is Ubuntu 8.10 server clear setup. Cpu is Intel Core Duo E2160

I had the same problem, and it was solved by using the "--noinstrument" flag with tcheck_cl.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - hitfounder

Parallel Studio is a Windows tool. There are more suitable forum sections for linux Thread Checker, although the best choice might depend on which other Intel software tools you use in association with Thread Checker. If using Intel compilers, the re-compilation with -tcheck option (setting both tcheck and compiler environment variables) is more reliable than instrumentation driver.
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - hitfounder

Ubuntu* is not supported Operating System in Intel? Thread Checker v3.1_012's release notes. Possibly it misses some utilities I suspect. Would you please try it on supported RedHat* OS or SUSE* OS?

By the way, have you done "source /opt/intel/itt/tchecker/bin/32(e)/tcheck_vars.sh" before running tcheck_cl?

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
ymost
New Contributor I
Quoting - hitfounder

I had the same problem, and it was solved by using the "--noinstrument" flag with tcheck_cl.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
hitfounder
Beginner
Quoting - ymost

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot, it helps.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - ymost

But this option switches off the binary instrumentation of Thread Chacker, which means you won't collect useful results. In this case youmight want to use source level instrumentation (-tcheck option)during compilation with Intel compiler.
0 Kudos