Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Intel VTune Profiler Installation on Intel Machine and Prerequisites

Jutt__Bobby
Beginner

Hi,

Earlier I was using Intel VTune profiler on a AMD machine. Though I could use  User Based Sampling for my application but as it was AMD machine, therefore HW sampling was not possible. Now I am using an Intel Machine. And I would really like to use all profiling options finally. 

I am using Intel VTune on my Virtual Machine through Virtual Box. Following are my machine details:

-  uname -r :      3.10.0-1127.e17.x86_64

- virt-what:        virtual box kvm 

- model name:     Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU

While installing Intel VTune Profiler 2020 Update 1, I am getting following two message in Prerequisites ( also attached in this thread):

- The system is running in the virtual environment. Sampling drivers will not be installed.

- Kernel source directory is not found. Unable to build the sampling drivers.

I have also executed the below command but I still get these two messages in my Preequisites installation step: 

sudo yum install kernel-devel-3.10.0-1127.e17.x86_64

Having said that, I could proceed with the installation but I don't want to use user mode sampling only. I would like to have all profiling options. And I think until and unless I don't resolve these two messages in preequisites, I won't be able to use all profiling option.

Also, if you can see in the attached file, the prerequiste steps says  "set  up this parameter in Advanced Options -> Driver Build Options dialog". The question also is. where do I find this option?

I would be really grateful if you can please help me resolving these two messages.

Thanks in advance !!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question.

Hardware Event-based Sampling analysis can run a driverless sampling collection through Linux Perf tool.The source code for perf tool version can be found in the below link

https://archive.softwareheritage.org/browse/directory/12ab80173cf69d1384fc31460c8e9d5df6f1049c/

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Jutt__Bobby
Beginner

Hi JananiC_Intel,

Thanks for your reply. I have a question please:

Even if I have built the tool from the above given link, will I still get the message in Prerequisite i.e. "The system is running in the virtual environment. Sampling drivers will not be installed." ?

Meaning, should I simply ignore the message in Prerequisite and proceed with the installation?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Yes,you can go ahead with the installation.

If you find that prerequisite  message again you can skip that and can proceed with the installation.You can do Hardware Event Based Sampling in Virtual Machine using Perf tool ,sampling drivers are not required.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Jutt__Bobby
Beginner

Ok thanks !

One more question please. 

At the same time, I am also thinking to use Amazon bare metal instance to use all profiling options of Intel VTune. Can you please tell me which particular bare metal instance (not VM instance) I should choose for Intel Vtune?  I would really like to avoid tweaks and want to straightaway run all hardware analysis on bare metal.

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

For your question,

Jutt, Bobby wrote:

At the same time, I am also thinking to use Amazon bare metal instance to use all profiling options of Intel VTune. Can you please tell me which particular bare metal instance (not VM instance) I should choose for Intel Vtune? 

Only top C5/D5 EC2 instances with big number of vCPUs will support h/w event based sampling.

Hope this answers your question!

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Could you please give us an update whether the issue got resolved?

0 Kudos
Jutt__Bobby
Beginner

Hi,

yes you can close it. Thanks !!

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the confirmation,we are closing the case.

0 Kudos