Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Intel VTune(TM) Performance Analyzer 3.0 Beta Test Archive

MARIA_M_Intel
Employee
This thread is an archive of the postings that were posted during the beta test program for this software. The product is now currently available for sale or evaluation at:

Message Edited by Judy on 02-23-2005 03:37 PM

Message Edited by Judy on 02-23-2005 03:37 PM

0 Kudos
43 Replies
kallol
Beginner
OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 2) of IA64.
Vtune: VTune30beta

The software gets installed fine, there is no GUI support, ie. no vtlec.

Question: How do we create a project on the command line?
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Yes, Kallol, there is no eclipse standard yet for Itanium, so, no vtlec command, just vtl, as you stated. Some good places for you to read:
$ man vtl
$ man sampling
$ man callgraph
User's Guide (sections on sampling and callgraph quick starts)
/opt/intel/vtune/doc/users_guide/index.htm
BUT, that said, here are two quick examples, from memory:
$ vtl activity -c sampling -d 20 -app /my/application run
(this creates and runs a 20 second sampling session on "/my/application")
To view the data:
$ vtl view
or
$ vtl view -gui
(The -gui option shows you a plug in viewer, very snappy, very nice -- use this instead of vtlec, which you don't have anyway on Itanium Linux)
Another sample, callgraph this time:
$ vtl activity -c callgraph -app /my/application -moi /my/application run
view the same way
$ vtl view
or
$ vtl view -gui
Other useful commands:
$ vtl --help
$ vtl version
I hope this helps!
cheers
jdg

Message Edited by jdgallag on 11-22-2004 03:41 PM

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
/opt normally is created in the / partition. That normally isn't big enough for a a default Vtune installation. Vtune installer doesn't hunt for large enough partitions, but the minimum requirement is way low in practice.
I don't know about Altix, but a common work-around is to mv /opt to /usr and replace with a symlink, so that it still appears as /opt.
0 Kudos
PeterKerney
Employee

When you run "vtl", it checks for space on the global data directory. The way it does this is with a shell script and parsing the output of a "df -k".

My Altix has a df -k that looks like this....

pkerney@pkaltix: 58 % df -k /opt/intel/vtune/global_data

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/xscsi/pci01.03.0-1/target1/lun0/part3

9568000 7601920 1966080 80% /

pkerney@pkaltix: 59 %

The /dev entry makes it go over a line which breaks the parsing.

Edit file file /opt/intel/vtune/bin/clscripts.common and in the routine "check_minimum_space" add another "getline" to make 3, and change the $2 to $1 just below it.

You should now be operational !!!!!

Now a cheat sheet for running it just to help your learning curve.

Compile your program with an added "-g". Note the "-g" does not disable optimisations, it simply adds symbol information to the executable. ie. "-O3 -g" is a valid set of flags. You are VTuning an optimised binary !!!

Run the app just to make sure it works. (My app was pom3d)Then :-

vtl activity -c sampling -app pom3d run # sampling finds the hotspots

vtl show # find out the results to use

vtl view a1::r1 -processes > aaa.txt # output to a file to make it easier to read

vtl view a1::r1 -modules > aaa.txt

vtl view a1::r1 -hf -mn pom3d > aaa.txt

vtl view a1::r1 -code -fn MAIN__ -mn pom3d > aaa.txt

vtl view a1::r1 -gui # use the little icons in the top left to switch views

vtl activity -c callgraph -app pom3d -moi pom3d run # callgraph show the function paths

vtl view a2::r1 -gui

Message Edited by pkerney on 11-25-2004 08:11 PM

Message Edited by pkerney on 11-25-2004 08:22 PM

0 Kudos
kallol
Beginner
Hello,
I am new to vtune and have been successful to use the tool
to generate call graph and sampling data for our applications running on x86. I have been using vtune 3.0.

Is there a way to profile the linux kernel code? I am interested to profile for kernel code, especially the functions in kernel when our application runs.

Thanks,
Kallol
0 Kudos
kallol
Beginner
I think "sampling" collects data for operating systems code also. There may be an option to display the performance data sorted in the order of the most used functions in the kernel....
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Hi kallol:
Yes, sampling data for the kernel can be viewed along with your application sampling data. The requirement, however, is that you have rebuilt your kernel with debug information (i.e., '-g' option on the gcc compiler). Once you have done this and collect data with this debug kernel, you can view statistics for the kernel modules and functions. Note: "debug" does not mean you have to disable optimization, only that debug symbols are generated for the kernel modules.
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Also, just to make sure we're all on the same page here: we can't use callgraph on the linux kernel because the callgraph technology re-instruments the code you want to profile. The, during analysis, vtune launches that re-instrumented version of the code to collect data.
On Linux, you can't have two kernels running at once, of course, so that means sampling is the appropriate profiling technology to use when you're looking for kernel data.
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Good discussion, guys. Please note that this "available space" bug was corrected in the released version of this beta software. The released version will be available in mid DEC, in just about a week (the current plan is on or around DEC 10.) FYI only.
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
guillermo_marcus
Beginner
Hi, I want to share my experiences installing the VTL3.0 beta. These are my observations:

1. The option to proceed if the installation platform is not supported is only available in the "custom" menu.

2. Get the following errors while installing:

---
The VTune Performance Analyzer 3.0 for Linux* is being installed...

The install destination has been set to /opt/intel/vtune

Registering VTune Performance Analyzer files, please wait...
It may take several minutes.

Registration is done.

Note: Performance tuning, by its nature, collects large amounts of data and
hence the product requires creating a common directory for global data.
The default directory will be /opt/intel/vtune/global_data. If this is
acceptable please just hit enter or type in the full path of the
directory at the prompt. Ensure that the chosen path on disk has
adequate space for all users. Where do you want to create directory
for global data?
Specify directory starting with '/'. [ /opt/intel/vtune/global_data ]:
install.sh: line 2196: [: /home/marcus/Intel/vtune: binary operator expected

Note: The VTune Performance Analyzer 3.0 for Linux* requires a user to be a member of
the "vtune" group. If users and groups on this system are
------

This is due to the installer being in a path with spaces. The correct path mentioned should be "/home/marcus/Intel/vtune files/..."

3. The following issue happens if installing Eclipse:

------
Where would you like to install Eclipse* Platform RunTime Binary, Version 2.1.3 for GTK* [/opt/intel]? : /opt/eclipse/rtl

Location "/ opt/eclipse/rtl" provided by you does not exist.
Would you like this folder to be created (Yes/No)? [Yes]
Press ENTER key to accept default choice, or input a valid choice : /opt/eclipse/rtl
------

The directory is not created because it does not chain the creation with mkdir -p (neither eclipse or rtl exists at this moment).

4. Also:

------
Which of the following would you like to install?
1. Eclipse* Platform RunTime Binary, Version 2.1.3 for GTK* (Recommended). (Installed)
2. Eclipse* Platform RunTime Binary, Version 2.1.3 for Motif*.
3. WebLogic* JRockit* 1.4.2 JRE for Linux* (Recommended).
b. Return to the main menu.

Please type a selection: b

sh: line 1: cd: /home/marcus/Intel/vtune: No such file or directory
Exiting...
-------

This has also to do with the spaces in the name of the directory.

5. Eclipse script vtlec is not updated.

If you run the eclipse installation again and change the execution package, the vtlec script is not updated to point to the selected option.

Cheers,
GM.
0 Kudos
guillermo_marcus
Beginner
Update:

Tryed to install on Gentoo, the installer gives the following error after the Licenses (all 4) acceptance:

---
Enter 'accept' to continue, 'reject' to exit: accept
ERROR: unable to find command $c
Please add the location to the above commands to your PATH and re-run the script
Please press Enter to continue
-----

Cheers,
GM.
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Question to the readers of this forum: how many Gentoo users out there? Just curious here, inside Intel.
:)
Reply to this note and let us know if Gentoo is a distro that we should be supporting.
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
guillermo_marcus
Beginner
Hi,

A feature request for the View Source Code of VTL3.0: a Fortran language color parser.

Cheers,
GM.
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Hey GM,
Are you thinking of an existing, particular application that has the look and feel you prefer here? If so, post it here so we can have a look.
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Visual Studio, at least the way it came with CVF, and many editors, e.g vim and emacs, do colored syntax display.
0 Kudos
guillermo_marcus
Beginner
Hi,

I don't have a particular tool as an example, but gedit for Linux with the optional fortran.lang file, may be a starting point.

For me, it is just a little annoying going to a source code view of a function on VTL3, and find it colored in C/C++ keywords when it is a Fortran file. (Is there a way to turn it off?). It is just a visual aid, but a nice one.

Of course, to implement a Fortran Parser for the Eclipse environment would be the best, as the one that exists for C/C++ development (I think the same one can be easily extended for it). Then, everything from coding to profiling can be done on the same environment.

Cheers,
GM.
0 Kudos
petriui
Beginner
Here is at least one Gentoo user who would be greatful for Vtune supporting this distro :)

Cheers
PU
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Hi Guillermo:
What extension do your Fortran source files use? If you open the VTune analyzer Options dialog and select Syntax Highlight under Source View, you will see that the analyzer is configured to use a Fortran color scheme for files with the following extensions: *.f;*.fpp;*.for;*.f90;*.f95. If this is not working, we should report it. Can you submit an issue at Intel Premier Support and attach a sample module and source file?
Thanks,
0 Kudos
guillermo_marcus
Beginner
Hi,

First of all, sorry for the delay. I am using *.F extension (capital F), so that may be the reason. Currently the beta has expired, so I have to wait until the official release.

Cheers,
GM.
0 Kudos
guillermo_marcus
Beginner
Hi,

I was not able to locate the option you mention. The closest is at:

Window -> Preferences -> VTtune -> Source View, but there is no option there to select syntax highlight mode or association.

Cheers,
GM
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Sorry. I was confused and referring to the Windows*-based VTune analyzer. I expect as the Linux*-based product matures, you will see this support.
0 Kudos