Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Internal collection error has occured while analyzing pintool in virtual machine

joeaverage
Beginner
Hi,
I'm trying to analyze a pintool using the latest Pin kit 37300 for VS 2010 on Windows XP SP3 (guest OS). The pintool is running inside a Parallels virtual machine on an Intel-based Mac (host OS).
I start the pintool like I would to debug it:
pin -pause_tool 10 -t obj-ia32\\mytool.dll -- ls
Then I try to collect hotspots with VTune Amplifier XE by attaching to the process:
C:\\Program Files\\Intel>amplxe-cl --collect hotspots -knob accurate-cpu-time-dete
ction=false -follow-child -mrte-mode=auto -target-duration-type=short -no-allow-
multiple-runs -no-analyze-system -data-limit=100 -slow-frames-threshold=40 -fast
-frames-threshold=100 -target-process=ls.exe
Error: Internal collection error has occured. Please contact the technical suppo
rt.
I am aware that hardware EBS is not supported in virtual machines, they are not needed to collect hotspots, right?
Any help will be appreciated, thanks.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mark_D_Intel
Employee
The problem is not running inside a VM, but in trying to analyze a Pin tool. The collector for the user-mode (non-EBS) analysis types is implemented using Pin.

One solution is to use a physical machine and perform hardware-based sampling (like lightweight-hotspots) to analyze the Pin tool.

Mark
0 Kudos