Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Locks and Waits Analysis on Remote target never completes

gitelsdon__gary
Beginner

Hi,

I am using 2018 Version 3 of Vtune Amplifier.  I have a remote system with a process that I want to attach to and instrument.  When I use Hot Spot or Advanced Hot Spot, what I see is that I can collect data, and the results get returned in a reasonable fashion.  But when I try to use Locks and Waits, I can see the data being collected in the temporary directory, but it never completes and it never returns to the GUI.  If I press "stop", the gui just sits there, and the data continues to be collected on the remote system.  If I kill it manually, the data is apparently corrupted (or I don't know how to manually pull it off the device and into the GUI).  Has anyone seen that this never completes, or know why this might be the case?  I can't use the Locks and Waits functionality at all at this point.  The target device is running Ubuntu 14.04 Linux, and I am accessing it by SSH.  The process that I am instrumenting is a long-running daemon that I attach to remotely.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Gary,

Please check  the Locks and Waits analysis directly on the target machine without VTune remote collection. 

you need to check the following scenarios:

1. locks and waits in launch mode on a simple application like ls

2.  locks and waits in attach mode to some simple application 

3. locks and waits in attach mode to your daemon application  with collection stopped by SIGINT

4. locks and waits in attach mode to your daemon application  with collection stopped by amplxe-cl stop command

If you observe a hang on some step from above we'll ask you to provide a reproducer or to provide a generated core file using gdb attach.

BR,

Vladimir

0 Kudos
gitelsdon__gary
Beginner

Vladimir,

Thanks.  This sounds like the right approach.  I don’t see any indication of how to do the very first step.  How can I run this analysis in “launch mode” on the target machine?  I installed the target machine by using the target package, so it doesn’t seem to have amplxe-cl, which I thought was the method for launch mode.  Can you provide instructions on how to set this up correctly on the target so that I can run an analysis directly on the target machine without remote collection?  Are the instructions for installing on the target machine different? 

Cheers,

Gary

0 Kudos
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The simplest way is to do a full installation from a regular package. If this isn't a way for you then you'll need to make a little magic:

1. collect an interested analysis on your main machine and find a runsa.options or a runss.options file in the <collected_result>/config directory (I hope you work on Linux because otherwise you will need to make changes in the file).

2. then copy found file to the target machine. Probably you will need to make some changes in the file like changing paths, changing some options, adjusting to an application...

3. Run analysis:

<vtune_package>/amplxe-runss --option-file=<path_to_options_file>

BR,

Vladimir

0 Kudos