Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

MPI program profiling on Xeon phi error

VIKRANT_G_
Beginner

Hello, I am using Vtune to profile my MPI progam which involves two ranks (one on Xeon and the other on Xeon-phi)

I have set up a NFS mount for shared libraries and the path for vtune is visible from MIC root

below is the command i use to run hotspots report on xeon and on mic, 

mpirun -host localhost -n 1 /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2013/bin64/amplxe-cl -quiet -collect hotspots -result-dir exon ./hello.xeon : -host mic0 -n 1 /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2013/bin64/amplxe-cl -result-dir /root/mic_vtune -collect -quiet knc-hotspots ~/hello.mic

i get this error when i run the above command

amplxe-cl: line 3: syntax error: unexpected ")"

I am able to get successful result when i run the above command without the vtune options for mic,

can anyone suggest a way to run the vtune ampilfer report on mic from the host using mpirun and when multiple ranks are involved

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Having VTune visible on the MIC side has no bearing.  It has to be launched on the host side outside of mpirun.  The MIC collector will collect all events on the MIC; I don't believe there is a way to run it under mpirun as you might wish to do when running on a cluster of Xeon servers. You would normally set up VTune to sample host and MIC in separate runs even if both are running the same mpirun job with ranks on both sides.

0 Kudos
VIKRANT_G_
Beginner

Thanks tim, 

I ran into another problem now, I closed the vtune GUI after my initial run (The program had not terminated gracefully  so i had to do a CLTR+C to end the program)

but when i re-run the program with VTUNE command line option i get this error:-

Error: PMU resource(s) currently being used by another profiling tool or process.

how do i find these resources and close them

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

If this is caused by the sep being hung on the MIC, brute force method would be sudo service mpss restart.

0 Kudos
VIKRANT_G_
Beginner

Tim Prince wrote:

Having VTune visible on the MIC side has no bearing.  It has to be launched on the host side outside of mpirun.  The MIC collector will collect all events on the MIC; I don't believe there is a way to run it under mpirun as you might wish to do when running on a cluster of Xeon servers. You would normally set up VTune to sample host and MIC in separate runs even if both are running the same mpirun job with ranks on both sides.

hi tim did you mean i should run a separate command like 

"amplxe-cl -collect knc-hotspots -quite -result-dir /root/hotspot_mic -- ssh mic0 /bin/mpiexec -n  60 /root/mic_binary" and a separate command for xeon binary,

as my current application requires both ranks(one on MIC and other on Xeon) to start simultaneously, i do not understand how to structure a run command so as to have vtune command line collect results for MIC and a rank on xeon run at the same time

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

There's no facility in VTune to profile both the Xeon and the MIC together.  You would need separate VTune sessions, even though the sample runs may execute on both at the same time.

If you are running MPI with ranks on both host and MIC, you must be able to set up a single script which would run it and could be executed both under the knc collection and the host side collection.

0 Kudos