Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4994 Discussions

Memory-access collection fails when running amplxe-self-checker.sh

LSolis
Beginner

I have installed the latest VTune 2019 update 4 on an Intel Xeon Platinum 8124M, and also installed the sampling drivers in order to sample all what is possible. I have root privilegues, so permissions are not a problem.

After building and loading the sampling drivers, I ran the VTune self-checker script (amplxe-self-checker.sh), but observed that memory-access collection is not enabled:

HW event-based analysis with uncore events
Example of analysis types: Memory Access
    Collection: Fail
amplxe: Warning: The "stackStitching" knob is not applicable to this analysis type.
amplxe: Error: Cannot collect memory bandwidth data. Make sure the sampling driver is installed and enabled on your system. See the Sampling Drivers help topic for more details. Note that memory bandwidth collection is not possible if you are profiling inside a virtualized environment.

An excerpt from "lsmod":

$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
vtsspp                393216  0
sep5                  856064  0
socperf3              585728  1 sep5
pax                    16384  0

Can anyone help me on enabling that feature? 

Full selfchecker output is attached, many thanks!

Leo

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Dmitry_R_Intel1
Employee

Yes the memory access will not work in this case due to inability to collect uncore events. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dmitry_R_Intel1
Employee

According to these warnings:

amplxe: Warning: VTune Amplifier driver with insufficient permission is detected on the system.

amplxe: Warning: Consider setting proper driver permissions (see the "Sampling Drivers" help topic).

amplxe: Warning: Otherwise, the driverless collection with limited analysis support will be enabled by default.

The VTune driver is not working in your case and perf-based flow is active. Please check the driver permissions:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/vtune-amplifier-help-building-and-installing-the-sampling-drivers-for-linux-targets

0 Kudos
LSolis
Beginner

I've just found out that the system (on AWS) is virtualized (KVM).

I guess this is why VTune memory-access collection is not possible, isn't it?

0 Kudos
Dmitry_R_Intel1
Employee

Yes the memory access will not work in this case due to inability to collect uncore events. 

0 Kudos