Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Multiple installations of Parallel Studio XE

dkokron
Beginner

I am using Parallel Studio 2013 under the non-commercial license.

I installed Parallel Studio 2013 update 3 just the other day and ran into a problem with Vtune crashing.  I would like to reinstall Parallel Studio 2013 update 1 to see if I can track down the cause of this SEGV under Vtune update5.

I am not installing in the default location.  I will be switching between installations during testing using 'modules'.  This is how the admins at work do it so I know it's possible.

The release notes PDF provided with update 1 state on page 4.

"You do not need to uninstall previous versions or updates before installing a newer version –
the new version will coexist with the older versions."

Yet I get the following warning during installation

Step no: 1 of 7 | Previous versions detected
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installation program has detected other version of the product installed which
must be uninstalled to continue installation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Continue with installation [default]

These products will be uninstalled automatically if newer version is selected
for installation:
    Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2013 Update 3 for Linux* common files
    Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2013 Update 5
    Intel(R) Inspector XE 2013 Update 5
    Intel(R) Advisor XE 2013 Update 2

Whom should I believe?

Can you point me to documentation on how to multiple, segregate instalations of Parallel Studio?

Dan

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This may be an error in the release notes copied from the Composer XE Release Notes (that would be my fault). As far as I know, only Composer XE supports "side by side installs".

What you might try is downloading just the VTune installer and see if you can install that to a custom location. I am not sure it will let you if there is already an install in a "standard place".  I am going to move this thread to the VTune forum and the support folks there will help you. I will also remove that text from the Parallel Studio XE release notes.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

When it says "version" it is referring to 2011 vs. 2013, not Update 1 vs. Update 5.  Updates cannot coexist.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Right - it does say "versions". Only Composer XE allows updates to exist side-by-side.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...I am not installing in the default location. I will be switching between installations during testing using 'modules'. This is how >>the admins at work do it so I know it's possible... Did it have the same problem ( a crash ) for VTune Amplifier ( Update 5 )? Update 5 is the latest Update for VTune Amplifier and it would be nice if you provide more details about the crash.
0 Kudos
dkokron
Beginner

The Vtune crashes started happening after I updated to Parallel Studio 2013 update 3.  I did not experience this failure when running Parallel Studio 2013 update 1 on the same box.  The box is running up-to-date Fedora 18 which I know complicates matters since the OS is a moving target.  The Parallel Studio 2013 update 1 version of Vtune (slightly modified to get it to compile) ran okay as recently as kernel version 3.8.3-201.fc18.x86_64.

The tool did generate crash dumps.  If you will remind me where they are stored, I'll post.

Dan

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

@dkokron

Do you have any log file related to the crash?

0 Kudos
dkokron
Beginner

Where would they normally be stored on disk?

0 Kudos
dkokron
Beginner

I reran the BW experiment to gather another crash dump.  Please see attached.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
The log for VTune only confirms that there is a problem ( crash / details are generic ): amplxe-gui *** glibc detected *** amplxe-gui: malloc(): memory corruption: 0x00007fd4ec85c9b0 *** ======= Backtrace: ========= /lib64/libc.so.6[0x30e627dab2] /lib64/libc.so.6(__libc_calloc+0xcd)[0x30e628006d] /usr/lib64/nvidia/libGL.so.1[0x30f2ea918d] ======= Memory map: ======== 00400000-004a1000 r-xp 00000000 fd:01 1579142 /opt/Compliers/Intel/2013.3.163/2013.3.163/vtune_amplifier_xe_2013/bin64/amplxe-gui ...
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Hi dkokron,

the crash dump file contains almost no information related to the call stack.There is only register context and exception code.Can you resolve with the debugger content of this  address  0x00007fd4ec85c9b0 ? I suppose that the error started when VTune GUI module calls into Nvidia OpenGL library which in turn try to allocate memory with the help of libc.so.6 calloc function .

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>... >>"You do not need to uninstall previous versions or updates before installing a newer version – >>the new version will coexist with the older versions." >>... If this is Not true than this is clearly a bug in the installer. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to verify it because I always select the option to install all new Intel software to existing folder and I was able to see that a previous version was completely uninstalled before a new software is installed.
0 Kudos
dkokron
Beginner

I am running amplxe-gui under valgrind to see if it can shed any light.  I will report the results when it completes.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Thanks dkokron

0 Kudos
dkokron
Beginner

amplxe-gui ran much farther under valgrind than without.  Not sure how to proceed.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Hi dkokron,

can you explain in more detail what do you mean?

Does amplxe-gui still crashes while running under valgrind?

0 Kudos
dkokron
Beginner

The original point of failure that prompted this thread is during the finalization of an experiment.  When I ran amplxe-gui under valgring, it ran past that point.  It was still loading the result, after ten hours, when I wrote that last comment.

Do you have enough information to reproduce the failure inhouse?

Are you willing to provide a debug build of Vtune that I can run on my machine?

How do we proceed?

Dan

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Are you willing to provide a debug build of Vtune that I can run on my machine? As far as I know Intel doesn't provide debug builds of Non Open Source software.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>How do we proceed?>>>

Can you also post full call stack ?

>>>Do you have enough information to reproduce the failure inhouse?>>>

If you are asking me I must tell you that I do not have a Linux version of VTune.

0 Kudos