Analyzers
Community support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
4969 Discussions

My exe crashes when trying to use call graph

noambn
Beginner
Hi,
I am using VTune version 9.1 for analyzing my code.
When i do this (option 1):
Instrument EXE - All functions
Instrumentdlls - minimal
My application can start but suddenly crashes on several un-explained places (without VTuneinstrumentationit is working great).
Workaround that I found (option 2):
InstrumentEXE -Custom- I select the functions that may be relevant for the flow I am bout to check
Instrumentdlls - minimal
I used to work with this workaround for several months , but it is not a good solution. Most of my time is wasted on the function selection instead of analyzing.
Several details about my EXE that might help you helping me:
+The EXE is native c++ compiled for win32 x386 (Using MFC)
+ I am using visual studio 2005 (SDK 2008 installed)
+ The EXE is pretty large (32MB) especially because of many resources included.
+ The EXE is large memory consuming, we are linking it with/LARGEADDRESSAWARE
If you need more details about my exe's linker options please let me know ASAP.

Please help me saving my time, I really want to use "Option 1".
An easier workaround might help me also.

Thanks,
Noam Benyamini
SoftwareEngineer
Sarin Technologieas LTD.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi,

First at all, we recommend to read this article - you actually did option 2, to reduce instrumentation level. But you can increase instrumentation level for any interest of module.

Other thoughts are (regarding that application consumes huge memory and also Call Graph needs limited memory to run):

1.Whether you can use small test data with your application, work on Call Graph - reduce memory use
2. Modify activity - Configure dialog / use Advance button, change "Limit collection buffer size" to small number (KB), I assume that this applicationmight have many threads to work.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos
noambn
Beginner
Thanks for the replies butunfortunately both didn't help.

1. I limited the size of the data collection buffer size to
2. I am already instrumenting all the dlls on "minimum" level, so customizing the runtime collection level is pointless.

Another detail that i forgot to tell you and might help you help me - I am checking "Start when data collection paused", my application crashes before i reach to the situation where i need to resume data collection.

More advices?

Thanks
Noam

0 Kudos