Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4999 Discussions

No module named pythonhelpers1 + AV

P_A__Jimenez
Beginner
I just decided to try the new Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2011 with a project I am working on, but once the process is finished and results are finalized, I get an error dialog with title "attach debugger?" and error message " No module named pythonhelpers1 (1): ". Buttons are, of course, Yes and No.
The analysis type I selected was Hotspots.
If I select then I will be sent to the results. If I select then nothing else will be shown.
I also get a message in Debug Messages which I am not sure whether it is related or not. The message is "Error: Invalid format ' '. Using default value: 'time'".
I decided to continue and check the results, to which lines they were pointing to, then closed the tab and got an "unexpected fault" (access violation in moduleamplxe_summarypane_core_3.1.dll).
I'll send the report right away.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
zzxxccvv
Beginner
I'm getting this error about "pythonhelpers1"too. I had installed the VTune_Amplifier_XE_2011_setup.exe trialin Visual Studo Professional 2010 on Win7 64-bit. I don't if it's related but I had also installed the Intel Parallel Studio trial andAMD CodeAnalyst, which are also plugins for Visual Studio. I sometimes get this error but am able to ignore it. Other times I don't get this error but after the "Finalization is completed successfully" in the Collection tab, the results never display (no"Summary"or "Bottom-up" tabs). Clicking "Re-resolve" sometimes fixes this but usually doesn't. Visual Studio sometimes crahes due to VTune.

Something elseI've noticed is that when doing aVTuneprofile, VirtualBox guestinstances sometimes freeze or crash (which never happened before I installed VTune last night). VTune is running on the host operating system.
0 Kudos
zzxxccvv
Beginner
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling VTune with no luck.

Notice thoughthat the"pythonhelpers1" is a Python module located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2011\lib32\python\pythonhelpers1\__init__.pyc
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2011\lib32\python\pythonhelpers1\genhelpers.pyc

VTune apparently can't find this module, nor can it find a amplxe_pythonhelpers_genhelpers_1_3. So, create a "PYTHONPATH" system environment variable containing this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2011\lib32\python;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2011\bin32

You will need to replace "Program Files (x86)" with "Program Files" if you have a 32-bit system.

Now it works! :)

0 Kudos
P_A__Jimenez
Beginner
Adding PYTHONPATH to the system environment variables did the trick :)

I also happen to have Visual Studio 2010 Professional installed on Windows 7 64-bits, as well as Intel Parallel Studio 2011 (retail, but should not make a difference). The only extra extension I got installed is Visual Assist X. I also have python installed in this machine.
In my case the behavior was always the same. I always got that error message and the crash when closing the tab (when answering 'Yes').
Thanks for sharing your solution.
0 Kudos
Mark_D_Intel
Employee
The problem is a collision between the VS plugins for Amplifier (in Parallel Studio) and VTune Amplifier XE.

The simplest solution is to restart Visual Studio and avoid opening any Amplifier results, only VTune Amplifier XE results.

If that doesn't work, you might try uninstalling Amplifier, or use the standalone GUI for VTune Amplifier XE.

[Some technical details: The version of python25.dll in Amplifier is not forward compatible with the version of python25.dll using in Amplifier XE. The version from Amplifier XE needs to be loaded first.]

[The solution mentioned elsewhere in this thread may work, but I won't guarantee the product won't break further.]
0 Kudos
Mark_D_Intel
Employee
This problem is fixed in VTune Amplifier XE Update 1.
0 Kudos