Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

No support for recent Ubuntu versions: solution = Debian?

christian_convey
Beginner

My employer is getting serious about us having Ubunbu packages installaed that even *might* contain unpached security holes.

This is a problem for me with VTune, because (a) last I checked 9.04 was the most recently supported version of Ubuntu, and (b) there are several security holes that appear to remain unpatched in 9.04.

So I'm possibly facing a situation where my employer won't let me run any version of Ubuntu that VTune actually works on.

I'm considering switching to Debian Unstable or Testing. My hope is that this will let me stay very up-to-date with security fixes (as well as other packages I want installed), but will also let me install older kernels that are compatible with VTune.

Does anyone know if this plan would work?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

If you have concern to work the tool on Ubuntu* 9.04 for security reason, please try on Ubuntu* 8.xx, or on Debian* 4 and 5 - they also are supported operation systems.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
joex26
Beginner
Besides I can confirm VTune 9.1 working on Ubuntu 9.10 with 2.6.31-20 amd64 kernel.

I have to use export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true before running ./vtlec.
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Good! But don't try v9.1 U7 on Linux* with kernel version 2.6.32 - I heard issues from other users, eventhey have no problem to build/install vtune driver module. -peter
0 Kudos