Analyzers
Support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4556 Discussions

Not detecting C++ memory leaks in mixed mode - Inspector XE 2015 Update 1

Julian_V_
Beginner

Hello,

I have a C# console application that interfaces to a C++ codebase using a wrapper created by SWIG.

I ran it through Inspector (on a Win7 64bit machine if it matters) and it did not detect any memory leaks even though I intentionally inserted a memory leak for validating the process.

After playing around with the settings for a long time, I realized that I should be using the "Mixed" Microsoft Runtime Environment. The next run of Inspector detected the leak... but none of of the subsequent run detect the leak! and I've tried everything I could think of! 

I've deleted all the results, recreated the executable, tried a different executable with the leak, switched to Auto and then back to Mixed... restarted the machine :)

Am I missing something obvious?

Please let me know if you'd like any other details to help me solve this mystery

thanks,

Julian.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Julian_V_
Beginner

Actually, I was able to eventually figure this out.

there was a "kernel resource leak" (critical section) in the wrapper that was leaking... which was what I initially assumed to be the leak I was in pursuit out.

once I fixed the "kernel resource leak", Intel Inspector was able to detect the leak that I was looking for.

I also had to use "Detect Memory Problems" rather than "Detect Leaks"

Hope this helps the next guy that comes along!