Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

P4 Xeon support?

phillong69
Beginner
cat /proc/cpuinfo returns this:

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 1
model name : Intel Xeon CPU 2.00GHz
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 1977.487
cache size : 256 KB

Yet
/opt/intel/vtune/doc/howto-build-kernel-for-sampling.htm

says

The following processors and kernels are supported in this release:

* IA-32 processors: Intel Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Celeron, Pentium II XeonTM, Pentium III, Pentium III XeonTM, and Pentium 4 processors.

PII Xeon and PIII Xeon are specifically listed as supported. Should I take that to mean that the PIV Xeon is not supported?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jeffrey-gallagher
Hey Phillong69,

Another good question: super glad you posted it here.

The truth is that VTune supports all Xeon and Xeon MP processors, so you'll be just fine.

Also, I've forwarded your comments on to the folks who write those release notes so that they can adjust them for any others who may have your same question.

cheers

jdg
0 Kudos
ivanf1
Beginner
Hi,

cat /proc/cpuinfo returns this:

[root@sync-dell root]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 3
model name : Intel Xeon CPU 2.80GHz
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
runqueue : 0
stepping : 4
cpu MHz : 2793.258
cache size : 1024 KB
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm ferr syscall lm s
se3 monitor ds-cpl cnxt-id
bogomips : 5570.56
clflush size : 64
address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

My computer supports two CPUs, but currently only has one installed and I would like to buy a matching 2.8 Xeon, so I need to match the stepping on the second one. I would like to find out what the stepping is of the one already in the machine without opening the case and visually inspecting the CPU. I don't want to install Windows to find out what my stepping is.

From the "stepping" information given above from /proc, can you tell what the stepping of the CPU is? The value 4 doesn't make sense, because when I look at the Intel website, it gives steppings D0 etc.

Thanks,

Ivan
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
I'll poke around and support back.
jdg
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
How about this, from an engineer:

There is a publicly available application called Frequency ID that displays all information about host CPUs:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/frequencyid/

There is a bootable version of the app that doesnt require Windows.

Give 'er a try, and report back.

cheers

jdg

0 Kudos