Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Probably a configuration error

jim_fry
Beginner
I am trying to use Vtune 3.0, build 814 on a multiprocessor running Linux kernel 2.6.9-22.EL .
If I do:
vtl activity act1 -c sampling -app /bin/ls
I get the error message:
Couldn't get object name for the processor
Is this a known problem? Is there any way to find which object it is trying to find? This reminds me of the days when Unix responded with a question mark if you typed anything wrong.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Hi jim:
I've seen this when the analyzer was installed on a non-genuine Intel processor. What does the output of your /proc/cpuinfo look like?
Regards,
0 Kudos
jim_fry
Beginner

Dave,

It says: GenuineIntel, IA-64, Itanium 2, model 1, revision 5 ...

Jim

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Jim:

This looks like the other time I've seen this problem :smileywink:, namely, there is a low-power version of the Itanium 2 processor that produces a different ID. Unfortunately, that ID does not match anything that the VTune analyzer 3.0 for Linux recognizes. There is a hack for 3.0, but version 8.0, which just released on Nov. 2, 2005 should resolve this issue.

If you are within your one year of support services, after purchasing your copy of the VTune analyzer, you can download and upgrade to version 8.0 for free. Simply log in atIntel Premier Support(or from the Registration Center, select Support Account) and click on the File Downloads link in the lower left corner. Then, select VTune Performance Analyzer for Linux* from the Product drop-down list and press theDisplay File List button. Click on the file vtune_linux_8.0.245.tar.gz, in the results, to download it.

If you are using the non-commercial verion,or for some other reason must use version3.0, please submit an issue at Intel Premier Support and request the "fix for the low-power Itanium 2 processor", asking for DaveA, specifically.

Regards,

Message Edited by DaveA on 11-15-2005 09:29 AM

0 Kudos
jim_fry
Beginner
DaveA,
Ok. I got 8.0 installed. But see my new thread "Unaligned access ..."
Jim
0 Kudos