Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4974 Discussions

Problem installing VTune(TM) Performance Analyzer 9.1 for Linux* as "current user"

levicivita
Beginner
I am trying to install VTune on a machine where I do not have admin privileges. I run the ./install.sh script, select 3 ("current user"), which then, as best as I can tell, launches./instman/secore -t --launch --setui setui. In that menu I choose 1 ("install") which prompts me to enter a serial number. I enter the serial number, and then I get this:

The Intel Software Setup Assistant may attempt to connect to the
Intel Software Development Products Registration Center to validate your Serial Number.
This may take several minutes depending on your network. Please wait...

You may press Ctrl+C to cancel.
NOTE: super-user or "root" privileges are required in order to continue.
Please enter "root" Password:

That doesn't sound like a non-root installation path to me... Is non-root installation of VTune even possible? If not, can "current user" be removed as an option from the installation menu...?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - levicivita
I am trying to install VTune on a machine where I do not have admin privileges. I run the ./install.sh script, select 3 ("current user"), which then, as best as I can tell, launches./instman/secore -t --launch --setui setui. In that menu I choose 1 ("install") which prompts me to enter a serial number. I enter the serial number, and then I get this:

Intel Software Development Products Registration Center to validate your Serial Number.

That doesn't sound like a non-root installation path to me... Is non-root installation of VTune even possible? If not, can "current user" be removed as an option from the installation menu...?

Thanks!

Hi,

Current user is added to the options for the convinience. You don't need to login as root to install VTune. However, you need to use the root password for installation anyway since VTune sampling is based on driver collector.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - levicivita

Thanks!

Hi,

Current user is added to the options for the convinience. You don't need to login as root to install VTune. However, you need to use the root password for installation anyway since VTune sampling is based on driver collector.

0 Kudos
techtalk
Beginner

Hi,

What command line did you use to instal vtune on linux ?
0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - techtalk

What command line did you use to instal vtune on linux ?

Unpack vtune package to the /temp directory and run install.sh
0 Kudos