Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Release build doesn't work

lklawrie
Beginner

I follow the instructions on using the "release" build and adding the debug/full but all I get from VTune is a lump -- not broken out by routines (addressses which are way hard to read).  The only way I've been able to get it to work is to start with debug build and work backwards for optimizations.

What's the trick?  Linking with debug libs?  Wasting lots of time trying to get this to work.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I guess that you may read this article.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

If you work on Windows environment, just add compiler option "/Zi" and Linker option "/DEBUG" to build - it generates .gdb file(s) whatever you build on release mode and debug mode. 

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

I think Peter meant .pdb files, otherwise his advice looks OK..  gdb hasn't made an appearance in released Intel Windows compilers.

0 Kudos
lklawrie
Beginner

http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/doclib/stdxe/2013/amplifierxe/win/start/find_hotspots/Fortran/index.htm

This doesn't mention adding the linker option /DEBUG.  That was the problem.  /Zi -- I can add but not sure if it's needed.

0 Kudos