Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

[SOLVED] Tachyon tutorial project file conversion errors when using Visual C++ 2010 Express (corrupted file issues)

VRubi
New Contributor I
Hello everyone,

I am attempting to follow the vTune tutorials using the evaluation version of vTune Amplifier XE 2011 in conjunction with Visual C++ 2010 Express. I am stuck at the point when I open the tachyon_vtune_amp_xe.sln file in Visual Studio. The VS tool tells me that the file needs conversion. I accept and tell the conversion assistant to proceed. It then reports conversion errors. It seems that some errors are normal (the UAC ones, cf this link) but the problem is that I have much more errors, some about file corruption issues.

I have retried several times, unzipping the tachyon_vtune_amp_xe.zip from the sample\\ directory into a different place each time but this yields to the same results. Due to these errors, I am unable to proceed (VS marks the solutions as being not available).

I have the XML report of the conversion tool available as well as a screenshot at the time of the error but I cannot find a way to attach them here...

Is there anything I can do to work around this issue? I have been unable to find a previous version of VS Express...

Thanks for your insight.

Cheers,

Vincent

Host information :
WinXP Pro, version 2002, SP3

VS info:
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Version 10.0.30319.1 RTMRel
Microsoft .NET Framework Version 4.0.30319 RTMRel
Version installe: VC Express Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 01013-532-2002287-70053
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010

vTune info :
(build 176374) Copyright 2009-2011 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Evaluation license
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Vladimir_T_Intel
Hi,

VTune Amplifier XE 2011 does not supportExpress editions of theVisual Studio. Please, see the Release Notes.
0 Kudos
VRubi
New Contributor I
Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for the quick reply! That explains it. I'll have a more in-depth look at the release notes then.

Vincent
0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
HiVincent,
You may want to try VTune Amplifier XE in a standalone GUI mode. It works fine without intagration into Visual Studio.
0 Kudos
VRubi
New Contributor I
Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for your suggestion. As I said, I was following the Tachyon tutorial which makes use of the VS integration. I have managed to find a VS2008 at work with which I am able to build and run the project following the tutorial instructions. Unfortunately, the application crashes when run under vTune (I have a console message about the fact that the parser returned a non-zero exit code when working on ball.dat). A short while after the popup appears, I get a crash dialog for the find_hotspot application. I have yet to investigate more here.

Cheers,

Vincent
0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Thanks Vincent for noticing this bug with sample analysing. We reproduced it and submitted a bug tracker.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
BTW, you can use the command
find_hotspots.exe ..\..\dat\balls.dat
as a workaround. The executable just needs a correct path to the dat file.
Was that crash dialog generated by VTune Amplifier XE? Did you send it to Intel?
0 Kudos