Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Support for 2.6 kernel?

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Hello,

I was wondering when there will be a version of vtune that supports the 2.6 kernel instead of just the 2.4 kernel which is now the case as i understand from the release notes. I also see there is a commercial version of a vtune-alike program here from intel. Does this support 2.6 kernel?
If there is no solution yet, when is the release planned of a version with this feature.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Support for 2.6 kernel is not yet released. If you have the paid-up version, and have a need for it, you might try submitting an issue on premier.intel.com asking to try out a pre-release version. Currently, it's a little lacking in polish as far as installation is concerned. Your license would be good for an upgrade within its term.
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Actually the current release of the VTune for linux product, VTune 3.0, supports several SuSE 2.6 kernels (see release notes for exact details).
Support for RH 2.6 is forthcoming.
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
How come i cannot find vtune 3.0 for linux in the download center?
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Search.asp?Prod_nm=vtune
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
The VTune analyzer is a product for sale. You need to purchase it to use it. Unless, you want to use to for non-commercial reasons.
Regards,
0 Kudos
edwh
Beginner
I'm also interested in this, but so far failing to get onto the premium site.
Is there any way to work round it? I've seen a suggestion that adding
extern void *sys_call_table;
EXPORT_SYMBOL(sys_call_table);
...into kallsyms.c and rebuilding the kernel might help, but it doesn't for me.
Alternatively, is there any way to manually map the addresses that VTune repots into symbols? I can't seem to reconcile them with /proc/kallsyms.
Edward.
0 Kudos
Maximillia_D_Intel
Jeff,
The release specify support for Suse 9.0 for Itanium version, kernel version 2.65_7.97. Will VTune similar support Suse 9.0 for Itanium SP1, kernel version 2.65_7.139, e.g. ship a driver as part of the package?
Regards,
Max
0 Kudos