Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Thread Profiler Remote Agents? For Windows?

rickgould
Beginner
Short version: Where do I get Thread Profiler remote agents for Windows? And Linux?

The help says: "The VTune Performance Environment enables you to simultaneously launch applications and perform data collection on local and remote systems. The remote system(s) only need a small subset of the VTune Performance Environment product files. You can perform data collection on an unlimited number of remote systems, each running a different operating system."

So, I expect from a Windows host, I can collect data for analysis from remote Windows and Linux machines. But I cannot find the remote agent installations for Windows or Linux.

Background:
I would like to collect profile data on remote Windows and Linux machines, and analyze it using the Thread Profiler. The Thread Profiler help says to "add a remote agent" to enable this, and under "Adding a Remote System" it says, "The remote system(s) only need a small subset of the VTune Performance Environment product files."

There is no information I could find in the Thread Profiler help that describes how to do this, esp. for Windows remote agents.

For Linux, I found a couple references, but not the associated tarball:

This article:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-thread-profiler-installation/

Says: "The Remote Data Collector (RDC) .tar file for Linux* is included with the Windows* installation package." I could not find any .tar files on my Windows installation of the profiler.

This article:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-thread-profiler-for-windows-is-there-an-intel-thread-profiler-for-linux-product/

Says "Please download the Remote Agent package from Intel Thread Profiler for Windows* download area. ", but I couldn't find any such downloads.

Thanks for any pointers!

- Rick Gould

0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Rick:

First, there is no remote agent for Windows*, only for Linux. To download the remote agent for Linux, log into the Intel Software Products Registration Center and on the My Products page, click on link in the "Download Latest Update" column for Intel Thread Profiler for Windows. You should see a page containing the following:

Now click on Remote Agent to download the remote agent for Linux. The resulting tar ball can be copied to the Linux system, untar'd and installed via the install.sh script.

0 Kudos
rickgould
Beginner
So when the help says "You can perform data collection on an unlimited number of remote systems, each running a different operating system", you mean as long as the all the "different" operating systems are Linux? And when the help says "The remote system(s) only need a small subset of the VTune Performance Environment product files", you don't mean the Windows product files (even though it is a Windows product)?

Needless to say, I'm very dissapointed in the misleading documentation.

So, how do we do data collection from multiple Windows systems?
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
I think "VTune Performance Environment product files" is pretty clear and does not imply the "Windows product files". I'm sorry if it was misleading.

I assume you mean "to" multiple Windows systems. Collecting Thread Profiler data is done locally on each system. You would need to unisntall the Thread Profiler and install it on the next system, or purchase multiple copies, one for each system. I'm sorry if that is inconvenient. That's the way the product is structured. It was not designed to collection data from multiple systems and display it all on one system.

0 Kudos