Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4994 Discussions

Unable to find linux kernel and vtune_drv

mhermanns
Beginner
Hi to everybody,

I'm a newbie to vtune, so maybe this question is trivial (at least I've been looking at previous posts to see if it is already answered). The point is that I just installed vtune 8.0 on a RHEL4 based machine (it is in really Rocks Clusters 4.1) and I'm trying to follow the Getting Started Guide.

After creating an Activity using the First Use Wizard, vtune starts to collect data and after finishing, it pops-up a window saying that it does not encounter the kernel image /boot/vmlinux-2.6.9-22.ELsmp. So I point to the correct file which is /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-22.ELsmp and press OK. Then the next pop-up window appears saying that it doesn't find the file vtune_drv and there I don't know how to proceed.

Thanks in advance for the help and greetings from Spain,

Miguel
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I would expect the VTune installer to look for your kernel source and gcc installation, and ask if you would like to build a driver. As kernel source is an optional component of Red Hat installation, it may not be there in a minimum ROCKS installation. The best move is to install source corresponding exactly to your running kernel, and allow VTune to build and install a driver. I don't know how much demand there is for VTune to install under ROCKS, so I don't know if this is one of those things which ROCKS makes particularly difficult. No doubt, we'll all get more experience with it soon.
0 Kudos
mhermanns
Beginner
Hi Tim,

During the installation, VTune asks me to install or create a driver, so I choose to create one, which works without problems. BTW, I have checked and the source of the kernel is installed by default under Rocks.

I have found out that just saying skip to both windows works and then I can proceed with the Getting Started Guide.

I guess that the demand should be there, since there is the Intel Roll already available which installs the compilers and several other Intel development tools (but not vtune), and installing in it should be easy as Rocks is based on RHEL4.

Thanks again and greetings from Spain,

Miguel
0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Greetings,

Yes, you are right - for the "First Use Wisard" it's OK to press "Skip" for the both such "File Not Found" dialogs you described above.

vtune_drv is the VTune sampling driver module (located in /vdk/). Usually it's presented with<10% of all samples collected during an activity.

As for the kernel module: you pointed to vmlinuz - it's a compressed kernel image. Whereas VTune asked you aboutvmlinux - the kernel file which is in non-compressed, non-bzImage format (in memory kernel image is loaded uncompressed). Unless you want to analyze sampling data for operations inside linux kernel - you don't have to providethe uncompressed vmlinux and can easily answer 'skip' when VTune asks you about its location.

Regards,

Katya

0 Kudos
sundarnatarajan
Beginner

Greetings,

I in need of vtune_drv-x32-2.4.21-27.0.2.1.7.ELhugememsmp.o made on gcc3. Don't have the sources handy and would appreciate if you can ping me with that file.

Loading the VTune analyzer sampling driver:
Executing: insmod /opt/intel/vtune/vdk/vtune_drv-x32-2.4.21-27.0.2.1.7.ELhugememsmp.o
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/vtune_drv-x32-2.4.21-27.0.2.1.7.ELhugememsmp.o: The module you are trying to load (/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/vtune_drv-x32-2.4.21-27.0.2.1.7.ELhugememsmp.o) is compiled with a gcc
version 2 compiler, while the kernel you are running is compiled with
a gcc version 3 compiler. This is known to not work.

Error: sampling driver failed to load!

0 Kudos