Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Unable to resolve function names and call stack

Johannes_S_
Beginner

Hi, I have created my project with CMake and now I'm trying to profile it using VTune2017 and Visual Studio 15. I've set up the Microsoft Symbol Server as well. However, I'm unable to resolve all of the function names and there is no call stack information available for any of the functions.

I'm still getting these warnings, even after I tried to manually download the debug symbols from Microsoft and it seems that this is at least the reason for the missing function names. How do I get the right debugging symbols?

I'm building with debug information ofc and as I said, I've setup the debugging symbols.

I had all of this working once, but I formatted my computer and now it's not anymore. I also posted this on stackoverflow, but since no one has replied there, yet, I thought I might give it a try here as well.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/43365235/intel-vtune-unable-to-locate-all-windows-debug-symbols

I'd appreciate any help!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

- What analysis type is it? Not all of them can collect stacks.

- What is VTune build number and OS version? I just tried it on a simple console application with Visual Studio 2015 and Win10 and have all function names of ntoskernel.exe resolved. If you have downloaded .pdb files, just specify Binary search directories for them in VTune project and re-resolve or recollect result.

0 Kudos
Johannes_S_
Beginner

Hi, thanks for your reply. It's an advanced hotspot analysis with default settings.

I have also specified the binary and symbol file locations as follows:

That didn't help either. I also wonder why VTune cannot find the QT .pdbs. That only works when I copy them to the build directory.

Appreciate the help, thank you.

0 Kudos
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

'Advanced hotspots' analysis type doesn't collect stacks. You can either select "Hotspots and stacks" on the 'Analysis type' tab or try Basic Hotspots.

VTune doesn't search for binaries recursively so it tries C:\Symbols\*.pdb and ...5.7\msvc2015\bin\*.pdb only.

0 Kudos
Johannes_S_
Beginner

Oh that makes alot of sense, thanks. I tried adding the symbol server itself (not the cache dir) to the analysis' symbol directory list and while I still get the error messages, this seemed to resolve some of the missing function names. However, when I try to use the "Hotspots and Stacks" im getting this error message.

I checked the docs, but wasn't able to find something that was helpful to me.

0 Kudos
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

Can you follow the instructions from Help?

To verify the sampling driver is installed correctly on a Microsoft Windows* OS, open the command prompt as an administrator and run the amplxe-sepreg.exe utility located at <install-dir>\bin32.

To make sure your system meets all the requirements necessary for the hardware event-based sampling collection, enter:

> amplxe-sepreg.exe -c

This command performs the following dependency checks required to install the sampling driver:

• platform, architecture, and OS environment

• availability of the sampling driver binaries: sepdrv4_0.sys, sep3drv.sys and sepdal.sys

• administrative privileges

• 32/64-bit installation

To check whether the sampling driver is loaded, enter:

> amplxe-sepreg.exe -s

If the sampling driver is not installed but the system is supported by the VTune Amplifier, execute the following command with the administrative privileges to install the driver:

> amplxe-sepreg.exe -i

0 Kudos
Johannes_S_
Beginner

Okay, I did that and here is my output:

Google said a restart might help with the failed VTSS+ installation, but it didn't. This didn't help either: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/605679

I tried to disable virtualization in the BIOS, but somehow was unable to enter the BIOS..

0 Kudos
Johannes_S_
Beginner

Okay, it seems like my Windows build is not supported with the current version of VTune, but I was told that support will be added with the next update. Thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos
Zhuhe_Z_1
Beginner

Same thing happened to me. 

vTune 2017 update1  works fine on Windows 10 1607version.

After upgrading to Windows 10 1703version, I have the same problem with vtss.sys driver, even with vTune 2017 update2.

Maybe I shouldn't upgrade the system.

0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hello,

Windows 10 build #15063 support by vtss driver is expected in coming Update 3 of VTune Amplifier 2017.

To unblock you now - please use attached archive with updated drivers.

Copy the attachment over <VTune>\bin64\sepdrv\vtss.sys”, then run “amplxe-sepreg.exe -i” from an administrative console to reload the driver.

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos