Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Unable to see the source code

merouane__amin
Beginner

Hello,

I am using VTune 2018 to profile my code but I am unable to see the source code, I can only see the machine code. 

Here is my setup:

- Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS

- gcc 5.4.0 with cmake 3.5.1 (not sure if it is relevant)

- gcc flags: -O2 -g -DNDEBUG

I get the following collection log:

Jul 25 2018 19:55:24 Result finalization has completed with warnings that may affect the representation of the analysis data. Please see details below.
Cannot locate debugging information for file `/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_2018.3.0.558279/lib64/pinruntime/libc-dynamic.so'.
Cannot locate debugging information for file `/usr/local/lib/libopencv_highgui.so.3.1'.
Cannot locate debugging information for file `/usr/lib/libtcmalloc_and_profiler.so.4'.
Cannot locate debugging information for file `/home/amerouane/autox_code/cmake-build-relwithdebinfo/bin/lidar_labeler_node'.
Cannot locate debugging information for file `/usr/local/lib/libopencv_imgcodecs.so.3.1'.
Cannot locate debugging information for file `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6'. Cannot match the module with the symbol file `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6.0.21'. Make sure to specify the correct path to the symbol file in the Binary/Symbol Search list of directories.
Cannot locate debugging information for file `/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2'.
Cannot locate debugging information for file `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libunwind.so.8'.
Cannot locate debugging information for file `/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_2018.3.0.558279/lib64/libtpsstool.so'.
Cannot locate debugging information for file `/usr/local/caffe2/lib/libcaffe2_gpu.so'.
Cannot locate file `[stack]'.
Cannot locate debugging information for file `/usr/local/lib/libopencv_imgproc.so.3.1'.
Cannot locate debugging information for file `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0'. Cannot match the module with the symbol file `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2400.30'. Make sure to specify the correct path to the symbol file in the Binary/Symbol Search list of directories.
Cannot locate debugging information for file `/usr/local/lib/libopencv_core.so.3.1'.
Cannot locate debugging information for file `/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_2018.3.0.558279/bin64/pinbin'.
Cannot locate debugging information for file `/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0'.
Cannot locate debugging information for file `/usr/local/caffe2/lib/libcaffe2.so'.

When run a simple test code (just main) which is not linked against anything, the source code is visible.
Any hints would help.

Thank you,
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

What module is the function of interest from? Does the module have debugging information?

0 Kudos
merouane__amin
Beginner

Hi Denis,

Yes the module is part of our codebase and yes it is compiled with debug symbols as described: 

-O2 -g -DNDEBUG

0 Kudos
merouane__amin
Beginner

Finally found the issue, it actually was not built with debug symbols, I just found out that someone has forced a release build internally in the CMakeLists.txt.

Thanks Again,

0 Kudos
SergioDiazTech
Beginner

hello, I have the same problem, could you tell me the steps to solve it? Thanks a lot

0 Kudos