Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4992 Discussions

Using Vtune with Free Pascal compiler

daniel2
Beginner
Hi,

I tried Vtune to profile programs written with Free Pascal. While obviously
this isn't a supported configuration, as developer of Free Pascal I'd like
to investigate what tools work with it. The executables it generates aren't
that different from executables generated by GCC, so there is no reason why
it shouldn't work.

Test configuration:
VTune 3.0
Free Pascal 2.0.0
IBM Java JRE 1.4.2

Test object to profile: theap.pp from the testsuite.

Theory and practice didn't match however. I can run a profile through the
sampling wizard, but they VTune becomes unstable while inspecting the
results and crashes easily.

Any attempt to run the call graph wizard is rewarded with an immedeate VTune
crash.

Danil Mantione
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jeffrey-gallagher
Hey Daniel,
The only supported languages are in Windows and Linux: C, C++, Fortran, .NET, and Java. (Exact versions of each are in the release notes.)
Maybe if you compiled a C++ version of your test, and examined the VTune profiling data that resulted, it might give you some clues to continue your examination of Free Pascal.
Of course, as you're already seeing, "not too different" doesn't mean "close enough..."
:)
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Another option might be to submit an issue at Intel Premier Support and provide your sample code (source and executable). While this is an unsupported language, we may be able to determine the problem and provide the necessary feedback for you to make it work. Just make sure you state in your issue that you would like someone to look at it and explain why it doesn't work (i.e., that you know it isn't supported, but would appreciate the help). Just in case it isn't me that takes the issue. :-}
Regards,
0 Kudos
howett__gregory
Beginner

Hi, I know its not supported but has anyone used this to profile free Pascal. We would like to use this for profiling a Heavily multi threaded application.

0 Kudos