Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
5060 Discussions

Using vtune to watch gpu offload in graphic

Hannah_zhen
Novice

Hi, community:

Recently, I have used vtune to watch gpu offload in WIN10 like:

task.png

However, as I open result generated from ubuntu CLI, some times the task is from level zero api

ze.png

sometimes is from openCL

cl.png

I was wondering whether it can be controlled by myself as I want to watch the time circle about gpu offload with openCL tasks.

Is there any solution to control it? Thanks in advance.

Below is my device information :

My running environment is ubuntu22.04 with 6.2.0-36-generic and the processor is i5-1340P.

The vtune version in win10 is 2024.0.0.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Rahila_T_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel communities.

To select a specific offload device, ONEAPI_DEVICE_SELECTOR environment variables can be used. Using it affects all the device query functions and device selectors. 

To check on the availability of devices for use with SYCL on a running system, simply use the sycl-ls command, e.g.:

$ sycl-ls

[opencl:acc:0] Intel(R) FPGA Emulation Platform for OpenCL(TM), Intel(R) FPGA Emulation Device 1.2 [2022.13.3.0.16_160000]

[opencl:cpu:1] Intel(R) OpenCL, 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz 3.0 [2022.13.3.0.16_160000]

[opencl:gpu:2] Intel(R) OpenCL HD Graphics, Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics 3.0 [31.0.101.3358]

[ext_oneapi_level_zero:gpu:0] Intel(R) Level-Zero, Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics 1.3 [1.3.23828]

[host:host:0] SYCL host platform, SYCL host device 1.2 [1.2]

ONEAPI_DEVICE_SELECTOR environment variable can be used to limit the choice of devices available when the SYCL-using application is run. Useful for limiting devices to a certain type (like GPUs or accelerators) or backends (like Level Zero or OpenCL).

The ONEAPI_DEVICE_SELECTOR syntax is shared with OpenMP and also allows sub-devices to be chosen. See https://intel.github.io/llvm-docs/EnvironmentVariables.html#oneapi-device-selector for a full description.

To know more about the environment variables that are having effect on DPC++ compiler and runtime please refer the below documents. 

Hope this will help in clarifying your query. 

If this resolves your issue, make sure to accept this as a solution. This would help others with similar issue. 

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Rahila_T_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel communities.

To select a specific offload device, ONEAPI_DEVICE_SELECTOR environment variables can be used. Using it affects all the device query functions and device selectors. 

To check on the availability of devices for use with SYCL on a running system, simply use the sycl-ls command, e.g.:

$ sycl-ls

[opencl:acc:0] Intel(R) FPGA Emulation Platform for OpenCL(TM), Intel(R) FPGA Emulation Device 1.2 [2022.13.3.0.16_160000]

[opencl:cpu:1] Intel(R) OpenCL, 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz 3.0 [2022.13.3.0.16_160000]

[opencl:gpu:2] Intel(R) OpenCL HD Graphics, Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics 3.0 [31.0.101.3358]

[ext_oneapi_level_zero:gpu:0] Intel(R) Level-Zero, Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics 1.3 [1.3.23828]

[host:host:0] SYCL host platform, SYCL host device 1.2 [1.2]

ONEAPI_DEVICE_SELECTOR environment variable can be used to limit the choice of devices available when the SYCL-using application is run. Useful for limiting devices to a certain type (like GPUs or accelerators) or backends (like Level Zero or OpenCL).

The ONEAPI_DEVICE_SELECTOR syntax is shared with OpenMP and also allows sub-devices to be chosen. See https://intel.github.io/llvm-docs/EnvironmentVariables.html#oneapi-device-selector for a full description.

To know more about the environment variables that are having effect on DPC++ compiler and runtime please refer the below documents. 

Hope this will help in clarifying your query. 

If this resolves your issue, make sure to accept this as a solution. This would help others with similar issue. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for accepting our solution. 

If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Thanks

0 Kudos