Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

VTStartSampling error: internal error occurred in VTStartSampling or VTStopSampling

maverick6664
Beginner
I've got this error when I invoked

profrun -dcache ./setiathome-4.7.i686-pc-linux-gnu.debug

this ./setiathome-4.7.i686-pc-linux-gnu.debug is the name of an application compiled with ICC9.0 -prof-gen-sampling -prof-dir (valid directory).

I'm using RH9 with almost the original configuration. Only glibc has been updated to 2.3.2-27.9.7 because vtune told me to do so when I installed vtune 3.0 for Linux. Cpu is P4 2.8GHz HT, (kernel is the default 2.4.20-8smp).

As a matter of course ICC9.0 is also installed....

What's this error? I'm a newbie of VTune and I have no idea on it..
I chose RH9 because this is supported by VTune 3.0... Is it a problem of VTune or ICC (profrun)??

Thanks in advance!!

EDIT: As "Internal error" sounds unusual, I reported this to Premier support.

Message Edited by maverick6664 on 06-21-2005 03:27 PM

0 Kudos
1 Reply
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Hi maverick:
I'm sorry, but it is not clear if you are reporting an error from the compiler or the analyzer?! profrun is not a VTune analyzer command. I just learned that profrun and -prof-gen-sampling is part of the new 9.0 compiler. So, I think the problem is that you are trying to use the VTune analyzer API but you are running the compiler profiler. Please remove the VTune analyzer API when using profrun, or using the VTune analyzer to profile your code.
Does that help explain it?

Message Edited by DaveA on 06-28-2005 02:14 PM

0 Kudos