Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

VTUNE 8.0 & SuSE 10

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Hi,

I'm trying to install VTune 8.0.245 on SuSE 10.0 (Unfortunately, the only version we have at the lab, around 60~70 machines in different configurations). This machines is a dual Xeon EMT64, and uname reports: Kernel 2.6.13-15.8-smp #1 SMP x86_64 GNU/Linux

Although I have glibc 2.3.5 in place of the validated 2.3.4, I was able to continue during the glibc validation.

But the installation inmediatly failed with the following mssage:

The following IA-32 package(s) should be installed prior to

install VTune Performance Analyzer 8.0 for Linux*:

glibc-32bit version 9 or higher

I checked, and I have glibc-32bit-2.3.5-40.x86_64.rpm installed.

Is any workaround to at least install it (I understand that Intel won't give support, even if it runs, since it's not SuSE 9.0)?

Or there is no solution at all, and I have to look elsewhere for another tool :-(

Thanks in advance,

Javier
0 Kudos
1 Reply
jeffrey-gallagher
Interesting report, good detail, Javier!
Intel of course only supports the OSes listed in the release notes for the particular product. Sounds like though, you haven't considered this POTENTIAL and fairly easy to try solution yet:
1) Install the vtlec GUI (and only the GUI) on a supported OS (for example, some SuSE 9 system someplace on the network)
2) Install the linux remote agent, vtserver, on the server you really want to profile on, the SuSE 10.0 system
3) Sit at the GUI and launch collection activities over to the target system. Data is collected, and sent back to you where you sit, over the network.
Important to note: this may not work, it just seems like if there's an easy (and quick!) solution for your environment, this may be it.
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos