Analyzers
Support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4554 Discussions

VTune 2017: cannot locate debugging symbols for application

Nisarg_S_
Beginner

Hi, I am using Intel VTune Amplifier 2017 on my Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit system. I compiled an executable emsim_seq using GCC 5.4.0 with -pg -O0 flags. This generates emsim_seq.d and emsim_seq.o files in the same folder as the executable. But during Basic Hotspot analysis, I get an error

Cannot locate debugging symbols for file emsim_seq

I have configured the working directory to be the same as application directory. How do I resolve this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
TimP
Black Belt

If you wish to compare gprof vs vtune you may need to switch between pg and -g.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

This message means that there is a link to a separate (symbol) file with debugging information in the emsim_seq binary but VTune failed to find or validate the symbol file. Following command should dump name of the symbol file: objdump -s -j .gnu_debuglink emsim_seq. If the symbol file directory is not the same as the binary file directory, it should be added to VTune Binary/Symbol Search paths (see more details in VTune help). Symbol file should contain DWARF debug. sections like .debug_<info|line|frame etc> (readelf –S <symbol_file>).

Can you reproduce it on a simple “Hello world” application? Do you have any build scripts?  “gcc -pg -O0” doesn’t create a separate file with debugging. Info.

TimP
Black Belt

If you wish to compare gprof vs vtune you may need to switch between pg and -g.

View solution in original post

Nisarg_S_
Beginner

Thanks! Using only the -g flag resolves the issue :).