Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

VTune 2020: "failed to create a result directory."

Jones__Brian
New Contributor I

Four days ago I logged on to a bare metal instance at AWS (Ubuntu 18.04) and ran a series of hardware analyses with VTune Analyzer 2020. The analyses were all successful and they created subfolders (automatically by default) in the folder where the program is located -- for example, r000hs and r000mc.  I downloaded them to my local Windows box and analyzed them in the desktop GUI version of VTune. 

Today I logged back on after making a few changes to the program to do the same set of analyses again, but this time I got "Intel VTune 2020 failed to create a result directory."

My command string from four days ago does not specify a result directory:

vtune -collect hotspots -knob sampling-mode=sw -- /opt/P01_SH/_C_wrapper/Call_Function.exe

When I got the error today, I added an explicit result directory:

vtune -collect hotspots -knob sampling-mode=sw -result-dir=/opt/P01_SH/Program_Folder_01/r001hs/ -- /opt/P01_SH/_C_wrapper/Call_Function.exe

But in both cases I got the error "failed to create a result directory."  I got the same error with identical command strings for memory access, memory consumption and system overview. 

The server configuration is the same as it was four days ago, and the only change is that the program to profile has changed a small amount.

I renamed the folders from four days ago to prevent a name conflict. I have read/write/execute permissions on all folders. 

Thanks for any help with this problem.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Brian,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Could you please provide us with below details

1)Could you please recheck if you are trying to profile the application as root(ie is with all permissions)
2)If yes could you verify if you are able to profile any other application using vtune in your system currently. My suggestion would be to  try profiling the matrix sample application available  with vtune. You can find the matrix application in the below path

<VTUNE_INSTALLED_PATH>/latest/samples/en/C++/matrix/matrix

3)Could you also provide us with the output of the below command 

vtune --version

Thanks

Arun Jose

0 Kudos
Jones__Brian
New Contributor I

Hi, Arun

Thanks for your reply.  Further analysis suggests that this problem is with AWS and not with VTune.  I am getting disk space errors, which is why it can't create a new output folder.  I have more disk space than I have used, so I've opened a ticket with AWS.  If the problem still appears to be VTune I can post back with an update. 

Meanwhile:

ubuntu@ip-172-31-7-28:~$ vtune --version
Intel(R) VTune(TM) Profiler 2020 (build 605129) Command Line Tool
Copyright (C) 2009-2019 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Thanks once again. 

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Brian, 

Thanks for the confirmation. Could we close this thread as your issue is not with vtune.

Arun Jose

0 Kudos
Jones__Brian
New Contributor I

Hi, Arun,

Yes, please close it.  Thank you for your help. 

Brian Jones

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Thanks for the confirmation. We are closing this case please feel free to raise a new thread in case of further issues.

0 Kudos